MiG-25P/PD differences

Hi All,

Are there any major external differences between the MiG-25P and PD besides the underside IR detector?  I know the engines are different and it can carry R-60 missiles on the outer wing pylons but I want to know if I could get by with putting an IR detector on my 72nd P model and get away with it.

Thanks,

WARDOG

The nose is physically the same size.  The difference is in the length of the radome vs. the length of the fixed forward nose structure.  The IR fairing is unique to the PD/PDM.  The panel lines on the forward fuselage behind the radome are completely different on the PD/PDM as well.  And most, if not all P’s had the early pointed style drag chute housing.  I don’t think the PD/PDM carried the centerline tank.  If you have a photo of an interceptor carrying it, I would like to see it.

Edited by Sleepy

Oh, and there's some differences in details on vertical fins, wing tips and pitot tube. Watch these areas, as I don't exactly know how they changed.

Just to be clear, maybe this is useful - PD is nearly new aircraft in comparison to P (new-built), PDS were upgraded from built P-airplanes to PD standarts. So, PDS were closer to Ps in some details.

HTH