Italeri's 48th Spitfire Mk. I ????

Does anyone know if this plastic is the new Airfix one or Tamiya's ???  Guessing Italeri won't be the originator of the plastic.

Hope it's the Airfix new kit.  I ASSUMED that Airfix just reboxed their older Mk. I and didn't bother to get it.  ???

Oh well......

Bo

I looked this up on Scalemates and this link will take you to what I found

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2792-spitfire-mki--1235463

It seems to be a possible rework of an existing Mk IX/V molding.  No information on what if anything has been changed.

If I remember correctly, Italeri acquired the Occidental Spitfire molds. 

Geoff M

Edited by Geoff M
18 minutes ago, Geoff M said:

I looked this up on Scalemates and this link will take you to what I found

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-2792-spitfire-mki--1235463

It seems to be a possible rework of an existing Mk IX/V molding.  No information on what if anything has been changed.

If I remember correctly, Italeri acquired the Occidental Spitfire molds. 

Geoff M

I didn't follow Occidental so I don't recall them ever having a Spitfire of any Mk.????  With recent releases of Mk. Is, wonder WHY Italeri even bothers if they didn't at least use one of the newer ones plastic??  It's MARKETING!!  LOL!!!

Bo

Why are we even talking about any Spits other than recent Airfix and Eduard? The Occidental Spit is old junk and has some strange shape issues, in particular the thrust line of the nose is too low. Grainy plastic. Not anywhere near modern accuracy or detailing (and I have low standards.) I tossed mine and got a Hasegawa Mk.IX, then sold that and got the perfect IX, the Eduard kit.

For a Mk.I (until Eduard releases theirs), there is the gorgeous new Tamiya, the nice older Tamiya and the recent excellent AIrfix. An expensive Italeri box with a crappy Occidental kit inside is the plastic equivalent of a flaming bag of dog poo on your front doorstep.

6 hours ago, sierrascale said:

Why are we even talking about any Spits other than recent Airfix and Eduard? The Occidental Spit is old junk and has some strange shape issues, in particular the thrust line of the nose is too low. Grainy plastic. Not anywhere near modern accuracy or detailing (and I have low standards.) I tossed mine and got a Hasegawa Mk.IX, then sold that and got the perfect IX, the Eduard kit.

For a Mk.I (until Eduard releases theirs), there is the gorgeous new Tamiya, the nice older Tamiya and the recent excellent AIrfix. An expensive Italeri box with a crappy Occidental kit inside is the plastic equivalent of a flaming bag of dog poo on your front doorstep.

Wow what a write up. Pretty much right on from what I have heard. My friend who TRIED to build the Occidental kit when it came out could not even finish it. He told me he was physically sick and threw it in the round file.

Also, I may be wrong but I don't believe Italeri has ever reissued Tamiya kits. Tamiya reboxes Italeri kits though and they indicate that on the box top.