22 minutes ago, SprueStretcher62 said:

1/48

There were two offerings in 1/48th scale. The first is Monogram, it is a kit from 1977, with nice detail and raised panel lines. This Kit was most recently offered in a Revell box. The other was the Accurate Miniatures kit, which was released in 1999 with even more detail and engraved panel lines.  After the demise of Accurate miniatures, this kit was also released by Italeri and most recently by Academy.  

I think it really depends on what specific B-25 you want to build.  Both the Monogram and Accurate Miniatures are excellent kits, but are not in direct competition with each other, as Monogram molded the late-model B-25H and J, with the top turret located behind the cockpit, whereas Accurate Miniatures molded the early B-25B/C/D (and a conversion to make the cannon-nose "G") that had the top turret located aft of the wing root and a slightly different aft fuselage shape.  

There was also an old molding of the early B-25 from Revell (not a Monogram kit), but that one is from the 60's, maybe early 70's at the latest and probably isn't what you'd be looking for in a kit.

7 hours ago, Joe Hegedus said:

I think it really depends on what specific B-25 you want to build.  Both the Monogram and Accurate Miniatures are excellent kits, but are not in direct competition with each other, as Monogram molded the late-model B-25H and J, with the top turret located behind the cockpit, whereas Accurate Miniatures molded the early B-25B/C/D (and a conversion to make the cannon-nose "G") that had the top turret located aft of the wing root and a slightly different aft fuselage shape.  

There was also an old molding of the early B-25 from Revell (not a Monogram kit), but that one is from the 60's, maybe early 70's at the latest and probably isn't what you'd be looking for in a kit.

Joe,

Academy reissued the older AM B25g in a one box kit. Of all of them, I really like the B25b best.

Glt

The AM kits are pretty good, IMHO, fit wise and the detail is pretty good.  The only issue I ever heard of with them was something to do with the front of the engine cowl, but can't recall what it was.  I also seem to recall there was one or two resin aftermarket items produced that corrected the issue.  

8 hours ago, afspret said:

The AM kits are pretty good, IMHO, fit wise and the detail is pretty good.  The only issue I ever heard of with them was something to do with the front of the engine cowl, but can't recall what it was.  I also seem to recall there was one or two resin aftermarket items produced that corrected the issue.  

Quickboost and at least one other have corrected cowls. 

Gary

8 hours ago, afspret said:

The opening in the front was too small in diameter.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:56 PM, Dave Williams said:

Dave,

I think the B25b cowl is different enough to require replacement. Maybe wrong here, as it's been years since I did that kit. Seems like it has more todo with the exhaust and air scoops than anything else

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2019 at 11:56 PM, Dave Williams said:

It is too small - on HS there's a build article with a head-on comparison.  I'll say that after reading multiple articles and looking close at the resin cowl options for my still-ongoing B-25D build I opted to try enlarging the openings my own with sanding film wrapped around a 'Detailer' wash bottle (it fit perfect)...  took five minutes to enlarge both, very easy. Look I'm all for supporting our resin Mfgs but the replacement cowls add little in detail but more to your workload.  Sand away I say, it looks fine - Cheers to all

Edited by metroman
  • 2 weeks later...

Fixing the Accurate Min. kit cowls is a tough proposition, if you are demanding on the result... Resin AM are a huge timesaver, and will usually be much better, as well as not that expensive... The compound radius needs fixing, and it must be done the exact same way all around...: That's essentially nonsense.  Spare yourself and get resin cowls.

R.

I just purchased a Monogram B-25J with a solid nose and eight guns in the nose. I started building the wings last week. Very nice fit. If you use enough clamps you will need very little putty on the seams.