Finding and choosing aftermarket decals

I would appreciate the benefit of some your experience on this topic.  This is a general question for me, but the specific case is that I have the new tool Tamiya Bf109 G6, and I want to build it with a different marking scheme (as all three in the box are so common).  There are SO MANY sources for decals and so many version of the 109, I am at an impasse in finding new markings.  Ideally, I would like to see a list of G6 decal sets and then be able to see at least a side view to see what the marking/paint scheme looks like.  Yes, I've gone to sites like Sprue Bros. but I haven't been able to whittle down the results the way I want.  If anyone there has some suggestions or could share the technique and/or sites that they use, it would be most appreciated!  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Bill Horton said:

I would appreciate the benefit of some your experience on this topic.  This is a general question for me, but the specific case is that I have the new tool Tamiya Bf109 G6, and I want to build it with a different marking scheme (as all three in the box are so common).  There are SO MANY sources for decals and so many version of the 109, I am at an impasse in finding new markings.  Ideally, I would like to see a list of G6 decal sets and then be able to see at least a side view to see what the marking/paint scheme looks like.  Yes, I've gone to sites like Sprue Bros. but I haven't been able to whittle down the results the way I want.  If anyone there has some suggestions or could share the technique and/or sites that they use, it would be most appreciated!  Thank you.

Rather than look for list of things on websites, I just search eBay for stuff, including decals and kits; just search for "1/48 bf 109g-6." There's 54 sheets just for that specific search. Broaden it to "1/48 bf 109g" and there are 123 sheets. Also try "1/48 augsburgs flyers." I'm on eBay all day looking for stuff (retired, lol).

Edited by sierrascale

Ultracast.ca is still a good website to go to and check out almost all the previous decal sheets and sets that have been produced for a single aircraft variant. Now don't be mistaken, I do not ship on that site, but I use it to look at what specific airframes have been produced as decals for whatever scale I'm looking for as a reference.

https://www.ultracast.ca/default.asp

I do a Google image search for my subject and scale, with “ decals” in the search. I’ll browse the hits until I see a scheme I like, then start searching eBay or wherever for that specific sheet. So, if I search “Bf-109G-6 1/48 decals,” and see a scheme I like on Superscale 48-xxx, I’ll narrow my search from there. 

Ben

5 hours ago, Ben Brown said:

I do a Google image search for my subject and scale, with “ decals” in the search. I’ll browse the hits until I see a scheme I like, then start searching eBay or wherever for that specific sheet. So, if I search “Bf-109G-6 1/48 decals,” and see a scheme I like on Superscale 48-xxx, I’ll narrow my search from there. 

Ben

Same here, Google image search will probably yield closest results to what you want.

There's about a billion sheets for a 109G-6 out there, of vastly varying quality. I think the only aircraft with more decal sheets out there is the P-51D, or maybe the F-4.

It's probably easier to go looking for a profile or picture of an aircraft you want to build, then look for decals of it. I'm pretty sure that every G-6 with a good picture that's easily available has had decals printed by now by somebody.

Otherwise I'd start with a top-quality decal maker like Eaglecals and see if they did something you want.

Alternatively, ask around for leftover Eduard decals, they tend to do 6-8 versions per boxing, are high quality and usually have a couple lesser known schemes in each boxing.