US has been trying to get a AgustaWestland bird  for awhile it seems (VH-71). Didn’t read the specs for what the AF needed but from a DOD bean counting POV a UH-1Y, H-60 family or UH-72 would fit the bill and bring in another supply chain need but hey it’s only money who cares. 

A kit wouldn’t be a bad idea, I can hear the current crowd crying for 1/35 scale already.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

A kit wouldn’t be a bad idea, I can hear the current crowd crying for 1/35 scale already.

A general support helo that will never be deployed in combat (similar to the Army's Lakota) is way down my list of wants.   

14 hours ago, Tank said:

US has been trying to get a AgustaWestland bird  for awhile it seems (VH-71). Didn’t read the specs for what the AF needed but from a DOD bean counting POV a UH-1Y, H-60 family or UH-72 would fit the bill and bring in another supply chain need but hey it’s only money who cares. 

The H-1Y and UH-72 did not meet requirements for payload or range. The H-60 lost to the 139 because Boeing's bid was close to $5 billion cheaper.

3 hours ago, Clinstone said:

The H-1Y and UH-72 did not meet requirements for payload or range. The H-60 lost to the 139 because Boeing's bid was close to $5 billion cheaper.

Thanks for the info. Like I said I didn’t read the details. Hope the AF is happy with the bird.

Considering Boeing's crap going on with the 737max, maybe their bid was lower because they are cheapening up everything to the point that the quality of the product is getting worse and safety is being compromised. 

I work in a manufacturing setting, and I can tell you first hand that:

1) Cheaper isn't always better 

2) Cheapening things up in order to make more money is the mindset now!

Tim

11 hours ago, hawkwrench said:

Considering Boeing's crap going on with the 737max, maybe their bid was lower because they are cheapening up everything to the point that the quality of the product is getting worse and safety is being compromised. 

I work in a manufacturing setting, and I can tell you first hand that:

1) Cheaper isn't always better 

2) Cheapening things up in order to make more money is the mindset now!

Tim

BA submitted surprisingly low bids for this program, the AF's new trainer and the Navy's carrier based UAV.   Seems to be a new strategy with them to win the work at all costs and either change order your way to profitability or make up for the losses on the long-term O&M support contracts.   

Edited by 11bee
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, 11bee said:

A general support helo that will never be deployed in combat (similar to the Army's Lakota) is way down my list of wants.   

I understand 11bee, but you would definitely enjoy the countless possibilities for civil liveries, now wouldn't you?!?:scared0016:

:cheers:

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 12:58 AM, Tank said:

Surprised Italeri hasn’t done a 1/72 kit. 

Guess you're right: Italeri would be the only mainstream manufacturer that could kit this in some Italian military livery. Man, I could use tons of them: countless possibilities for offshore and EMS liveries. I am not too positive though: mainstream kit makers seem to be in a 'helicopter kits are poor sellers- mode' and chicken out of these subjects more and more...:angry:

On BritModeller I read that Whirly Bits from UK had actually thought about an AW139 release but was still too afraid that Italeri or Revell would release one eventually.