So I have a model that I picked up some Hataka paint to use and I've never used their paints before, so I'm after any tips, suggestions, etc. All I have is the paint (USAF Aggressor brown set) and a bottle of their lacquer thinner. Does it need a primer before hand? I've used Model Master most of my building life and have done some Vallejo Air painting. Thanks for any suggestions.

Duane

I believe they have multiple formulations, including lacquers. I can't help work the other formulations,  but I can offer suggestions for lacquers. They're very thin paints. Surface prep is critical. Thin to 1% milk consistency. Spray thin coats close in at 15 psi. Make sure the paint is still wet when it hits the surface. 

I found it on the whole rather useless as far as paint goes compared to alternatives.

I would use a light colour primer, there wasnt enough pigment to cover darker ones.

Thinning, well I suppose you will thin it to your desire, and theirs might work better than Vallejo did for me. I mixed in some flow improver and retarder of the same brand and found it needed many coats to build up a colour.
Low PSI, as low as you can go and still spray. A MAC would be invaluable here as the speed will pick up without the force.

Good luck with it, I bought the USAF 60s/70s set for some Vietnam colours, which should be fairly robust colours over white... The model was painted in Vallejo USAF set and I defenestrated the Hataka set.

I've become almost addicted to the Hataka lacquer-line. I use them on a medium coat of Alclad grey primer and pre-shading/black basing using different Hataka shades.

A few points from my personal experience:
- Paints need a thorough shake. Even better: Ease off the lid and stir it. They tend to be almost impossible to shake completely
- Prime! As mentioned, Alclad grey works great for me. It's almost impossible to rib or rub paint off the model after putting the Hataka paint down on a layer of Alclad.
- Paints need to be thinned quite a lot. I use Hatakas own lacquer thinner without any imprower/retarder. This also leaves it somewhat opaque but I like that. You'll need multiple coats to work up the required color it gives you great control.
- Work in a well ventilated area and use a mask!