Fixing miss alignment or steps?

So don’t I feel stupid, I finally realize that there’s a difference between cat filling and fixing step misalignments. I’ve been cursing left right and centre trying to figure out how to fill gaps. Only to realize now that my question should’ve been how to  properly fill and fix steps and misalignments between parts. 

So how do I fix these steps and misalignments? Without creating oblong parts?

thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

It really all depends upon how bad and where and on what, and how you're going to finish the model.  For really bad gaps on regular plastic models, I'd use plastic sprue or card, glued down with a generously applied HOT liquid cement, such as Weld-on #3.  This is best for surfaces to be re-scribed after sanding.

For more moderate needs, try Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty, available at your local auto part dealer (and elsewhere) because it feather edges perfectly, and does not pin hole, as do many other fillers  --  plus, it's cheap,  compared to most others.

For very light filling such as tiny lines at wing roots or around canopies, I like to use Perfect Plastic Putty, which can be put on and smoothed with water, usually requiring no sanding at all.  Sadly it is not sturdy enough for major repairs, or it would probably be my first choice everywhere.

These are just overall rules for how I do it.  If you could post some pictures or at least a specific description of your problem areas, I'm sure that you'll get many other solutions offered up here!

Ed

You can use lengths of sprue to jack the offending piece to the correct width/height. Just glue them in if they're hidden, or carefully remove after the glue is set if they're not. Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

I always use CA glue and accelerator to fill gaps, and can help with some mismatch/steps too.  The trick is to use progressively finer grades of sandpaper/sandsticks to smooth it out and describe afterwards and to sand it within a few minutes of using the accelerator.  It'll also make the join ROCK solid too.