ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Curt B

Did I Go Crazy with Airbrushes?

Hi All,

I've written in another post here about my current airbrushes, a Paasche Model H, (single action) using a .3mm needle, and an Iwata HP-C Plus (double action, fine control).  I've stayed away from the Iwata for the last many years, primarily because of my perception of how horribly difficult I felt it was to tear down and clean.  My recollection of doing that cleaning what nightmarish, and sufficient to set that very nice airbrush aside, and lean on the single action.  The Paasche, in comparison, was, and is, so VERY easy to completely tear down (3 parts?) and soak parts if needed.  This past weekend, I used the Iwata for the first time in forever, using it to spray the kind of paint that in the past terrified me, Mr. Color Lacquer paint.  To what do I attribute my newfound confidence?  Buying some new airbrushes!  

I went somewhat wild over the last few weeks.  I bought a Harder and Steenbeck Evolution CR Plus a week or so ago, and this past weekend, I went totally crazy and bought an Iwata Revolution HP-M2 gravity feed single action airbrush.  Regarding the Iwata HP-C Plus 'confidence', I guess I felt that with a brand new double action airbrush as a 'backup', I didn't need to fear messing up my only high end brush.  And I had fantastic success in using the HP-C this weekend with perfectly thinned Mr. Color lacquer, and I think I've come to the conclusion that the problems I had had with the HP-C previously, I could attribute to insufficient thinning of paint.  And, with the paint thinned to the proper consistency, cleanup, while still nasty, with lacquer thinner, was not that terribly difficult.

What possessed me to get the new Iwata HP-M2?  Well, I really like the simplicity of my Paasche, however, I've never really been a big fan of the syphon feed airbrush, so I start thinking...can I take advantage of the unique gravity feed combined with the relative simplicity of a single action airbrush? 

So, now, I am the proud, but perhaps goofy, owner of 4 airbrushes (or at least, soon to be 4, once the HP-M2 arrives).  Will I use the new brushes?  Well, I'm inclined to plan to use the HP-M2, since that is really a different design, and I'm likely to see different performance using a significant'y different configuration for an airbrush.  Will I use the H&S double action brush?  All depends on what success I continue to have with my older Iwata.  Is it stupid to have a beautiful, relatively high end airbrush only to sit idle in its box?  I don't know.  To me, the H&S is kind of an 'insurance policy' which has given me some freedom to do what I should have been doing all along, in terms of teardown and paint thinning, with my Iwata.

So, I just wanted to ask you all if anyone else has done what I've done, and bought what seems, even to me, backups for airbrushes that I will undoubtedly use one day, but will hold in standby for now.  What do you think?  Did I go unjustifiably crazy in expenditures?  Of can you understand any of my logic?  Just curious what you guys may think...

You are not alone. I started collecting aurbrushes instead of kits, they take less room. It is also fun to try different airbrushes. At this point I could probably be a certified Badger technician, and sales person. 

Me too, go four brushes, though I regularly use only two of them, the H&S Infinity and an Iwata Eclipse HP-SBS. I'd like to get an Eclipse HP-CS one of these days. The Eclipse series are good workhorse airbrushes and relatively easy to clean. The H&S Infinity is a breeze to clean. I love it.

I've got just one, an Iwata Eclipse HP-CS+.    Not the best for covering a lot of area, but I'm on a budget, and it made more sense to get something that excelled in fine work than something that covered a lot of area well.  

I think if I were to get a second, I would get a mini spray gun instead... and use it for primer, clear coat and other non-modelling  related projects. 

Posted (edited)

I wouldnt say so.
Ive a few dozen myself, bought over the past 30 years. But then when I started I wasnt just spraying models with them. Now I dont do illustration and photo retouching then that many is a bit daft.

If you want a nice airbrush you should look at oneof the purple box Iwata models

Edited by ElectroSoldier