Bf-109G-6 to G-14

15 hours ago, jonwinn said:

How much work is involved to convert a Revell 1/32 Bf-109G-6 to a G-14? It has both early and late version

parts. What do I need to convert it to a G-14? jon

All sorts of exceptions to the rule when it comes to later war -109's but if I recall correctly,  you would just need to retain the fuselage MW50 filler cover (pretty sure this is already on the fuselage but marked to be filled in for the regular G-6).  You will also want to go with the tall tail and Erla-Haube canopy.  As mentioned, those bits are in the kit.   Only other item would be the aft cockpit panel behind the pilot's head. The G-6 panel was flat, while the G-14's panel had a raised section to accommodate (I think) the battery which had to be moved forward when the MW50 tank was installed.   I don't recall whether or not this part was in the Revel kit or not but if you have to scratch build that fairing, it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm not a true -109 experten, so if anyone sees mistakes in this info, please jump in to help!

Thanks, the kit has both  bulkheads behind  the pilots head, the one with the "step" for the battery and the

smooth one. I read there was no "real" G-14 , that they were just upgraded G-6s and the kit has all the parts

for that "version". Now all I need is Hartmann's decals for his "white washed" plane when he was with JG53. jon

He did fly an Me-262 for a bit but decided to go back to his squadron on the Eastern front and

not "abandon" them. Also the Russians I don't think had anything "high tech" at the time that a

standard Bf-109 with a well trained pilot couldn't handle. jon

Edited by jonwinn
spelling error
21 hours ago, 11bee said:

Cool link.   Surprised to see that in Feb of 45, the top ace of the Luftwaffe was still flying a G-6.   

A late G-6 was identical to a G-14. Really just a change in designation. 

It was an attempt to consolidate all the variations in equipment over the G-6 production into a single standard. This was less than successful as these variations continued to be seen in the G-14 line. For example: some G-14's with short tails and standard(non Erla hood) canopies. The only thing that seems to be universal in the G-14 was the tank for MW 50 and the corresponding move in battery position.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:41 PM, Cool Hand said:

It was an attempt to consolidate all the variations in equipment over the G-6 production into a single standard. This was less than successful as these variations continued to be seen in the G-14 line. For example: some G-14's with short tails and standard(non Erla hood) canopies. The only thing that seems to be universal in the G-14 was the tank for MW 50 and the corresponding move in battery position.

I didn’t know that. 190s are

more up my alley but it’s nice to learn more about the 109. Wouldn’t the armament be similar across G-14s?

Yes. Two MG 131 12.7mm machine guns in the cowl and one MG 151/20 20mm cannon firing through the engine was the base armament. The U4 modification replaced the MG 151/20 with a MK 108 30mm cannon. 20mm cannon gondolas could also be mounted to any G-6 or G-14.