Navy MD-3 Mule navy tractor air hose...

I need some ideas on how to make the air starter hose for the MD-3 "Mule"..

10b.jpg

Any ideas on how to scratch-build this hose? Not sure what kind of/size "tubing" to use that is soft and pliable for it to look real.

Any help is appreciated.

Scott
CNJC-IPMS

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 10:32 AM, F-16 said:

I need some ideas on how to make the air starter hose for the MD-3 "Mule"...

Any ideas on how to scratch-build this hose? Not sure what kind of/size "tubing" to use that is soft and pliable for it to look real.
Any help is appreciated.

Scott,

I once made a hose to use the Verlinden 1/48 Mule on an aircraft carrier diorama. I've used one regular vinyl hose which is standard with the Badger range of airbrushes (not the braided one, but the vinyl blue one), to which I passed some coiled copper wire through it and then spreaded (uncoiled) the wire along the hose.

The one I needed was extended, but then I fashioned another stowed one, as in your picture - same procedure but then I dipped it in hot water to make it flat and bent.

They looked exactly the part, both of them.

HTH.

What scale are you talking? that would make a difference as to the approach. But if you're doing it when it's wound up like that, I'd suggest something like a shoe string material carefully wrapped with perhaps paper or something to make the bands. I've seen fire hoses for 1/25 scale trucks done that way and it comes out pretty good. Elastic also is used successfully.

Edited by niart17
  • 2 months later...