P-51D block info

Since Eduard’s new 1:48 P-51D-5 is out I’ve been trying to learn more about P-51s. What’s the difference between a D-5, D-10, and other D blocks?  Fillets, antennae, scoops, etc, what’s the breakdown of these and what should I be looking for regarding aftermarket decals?

What block is Tamiya’s 1:48 P-51D? It has a tail fillet but one of the decal options is filletless.  I’m  confused when it comes to Mustangs.  Need some help!

Edited by jester292

Hi,

If you go to the Eduard website and download the August 2019 free newsletter (No112), you'll find illustrations that show the differences on pages 22-23 and 30-40. For my PC, the link to the English newsletter is now on the left  of the screen (scroll down a bit).

I gatter that all the parts are in the Eduard box.

There were resin conversion tails for filletless P-51D's made for the Tamiya kit. I don't know the manufacturer, I bought mine from a friend and it came without packaging.

Cheers, Stefan.

I think the only diff was the tail fillet.  It was standard on the -10 but as mentioned, it was also pretty widely retrofitted on surviving -5's.   

May have been some minor cockpit changes but NAA made so many tweaks to radios, IFF sets, etc it's doubtful you'll really need to worry about this aspect.   

Edited by 11bee
5 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

If you go to the Eduard website and download the August 2019 free newsletter (No112), you'll find illustrations that show the differences on pages 22-23 and 30-40. For my PC, the link to the English newsletter is now on the left  of the screen (scroll down a bit).

I gatter that all the parts are in the Eduard box.

There were resin conversion tails for filletless P-51D's made for the Tamiya kit. I don't know the manufacturer, I bought mine from a friend and it came without packaging.

Cheers, Stefan.

Great help! Thanks!

14 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

Eduard's newsletter is apparently not the best source for block details.  There are two threads going on Hyperscale that show the problems.  Christian has provided a list, IIRC.

Hi, Bruce.

Thanks for the update.

A lot of information to go through there.

If I understand it correctly, the guys on Hyperscale say that the horizontal stab angle changed when the aluminium covered elevators were installed while Eduard believes that angle changed when the dorsal fin fillet was added.

Also, Eduard says the Tech Order to replace the fabric covered elevators dates from February 1945, while some say it dates from August 1945.

Cheers, Stefan.