Tamiya 1/32 P-51D...still great?

All,

I know, as I am part of this group, that the new 1/48 Eduard P-51D is getting huge amounts of attention from modelers.  I now have 2 Chattanooga Choo Choo kits, one from a MegaHobby preorder, and one I just got from one of my friends who was at the IPMS National show last week.  I am thrilled!!

But with all the hubbub about this new 1/48 scale airplane, I'm wondering about the old(er) Tamiya P-51D, new tooling of circa 2011.  Is it still looked upon, (perhaps as second string to the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair), as a truly outstanding model?  I know it was the case upon its initial release, but in the intervening 8 or so years, does it still carry the mantel of Best of the Best?  At least in 1/32 scale?  Thoughts?  And if so, what would you say is a reasonable price, either local where you buy and pay tax, or do the online thing, and potentially save tax and shipping.  What do any of you, with any opinion, think?

I fancy myself knowledgeable enough on the Mustang and a discerning modeler. Tamiya used literally thousands of documents in researching this kit. I think even today, it is overall the best Mustang out there. The level of detail, accuracy and fit are excellent. The bug bear might be the presence of flush rivets on the wing surfaces. The engine cowlings are removable to reveal the engine (which is a model in a model) with complete detail. I must add for the money, Revell’s D is a real winner too. There is plenty of detail, nice fit and assembly.

I'm building the Tamiya Mustang currently.   It's an amazing kit, by far the best Mustang model (in any scale).    That being said, it's also complex and (in my opinion) maybe a bit too "fancy".   No need for all the extra parts for movable control surfaces, landing gear, etc.   Just adds to the cost and time to build it.     I find it telling that with their latest 32nd scale kit (the F4U-1D), those "features" have been eliminated. 

Regardless, the Tamiya Mustang is an awesome kit.   In this case, you get what you pay for.

Thanks, guys, for your opinions.  I have only one 1/32 scale airplane in my huge pile of unbuilt models, and that is a Trumpeter SU-30MKK, which is cool only because of its size and not at all because of detail.  I'm inclined to get the big Tamiya '51 for all the reasons you have mentioned.  😊

Do any of you know if there ia a reason the 1/32 P--51D/K variant is ~$30 more expensive than the P-51D?  Are there more features or weapons?  Any reason at all that would make that one more desirable than the other?

Edited by Curt B
On 8/16/2019 at 6:24 PM, DONG said:

Curt

The P-51D/K has the uncuffed HS prop plus the cuffed prop, more weapons and the different inserts for the F-6D.

Don

Thanks, Don, and Dave and Slarti, too.  Appreciate the comments!

On 8/15/2019 at 10:16 PM, Curt B said:

All,

I know, as I am part of this group, that the new 1/48 Eduard P-51D is getting huge amounts of attention from modelers.  I now have 2 Chattanooga Choo Choo kits, one from a MegaHobby preorder, and one I just got from one of my friends who was at the IPMS National show last week.  I am thrilled!!

But with all the hubbub about this new 1/48 scale airplane, I'm wondering about the old(er) Tamiya P-51D, new tooling of circa 2011.  Is it still looked upon, (perhaps as second string to the Tamiya 1/32 Corsair), as a truly outstanding model?  I know it was the case upon its initial release, but in the intervening 8 or so years, does it still carry the mantel of Best of the Best?  At least in 1/32 scale?  Thoughts?  And if so, what would you say is a reasonable price, either local where you buy and pay tax, or do the online thing, and potentially save tax and shipping.  What do any of you, with any opinion, think?

Yes, Tamiya's big P-51D is still the best Mustang in any scale.

On 8/17/2019 at 4:12 PM, Slartibartfast said:

Uncuffed HS prop was seen on F-51D/K used in Korea.

How different is the Aeroproducts prop from the uncuffed HS?    I’m building an F-51D and my subject has the uncuffed HS blades.  

On 8/16/2019 at 9:58 PM, Dave Williams said:

The other prop in the D/K kit should be the Aeroproducts prop, not the uncuffed HS prop.

Yes your right and 11bee Quickboost makes a uncuffed prop for the Trumperter kit which fits the Tamiya kit.

19 hours ago, 11bee said:

How different is the Aeroproducts prop from the uncuffed HS?    I’m building an F-51D and my subject has the uncuffed HS blades.  

Uncuffed blades look like the cuffed blades.

P-51_Mustang_01.jpg

Aeroproduct blade tips are nearly semi-circular.

Mustang_Lokuciewski_2.jpg

Edited by Slartibartfast
1 hour ago, Slartibartfast said:

Uncuffed blades look like the cuffed blades.

P-51_Mustang_01.jpg

Aeroproduct blade tips are nearly semi-circular.

Mustang_Lokuciewski_2.jpg

Thanks Bruce, wasn't really sure what the Aeroproducts blades looked like.   Was thinking I could maybe take the kit Aeroproducts blades and use them to represent the uncuffed HS ones but from your pics, there is a pretty big difference between the two.    I'll end up going with the Quickboost resin ones.