Fast Eagle 102/107 kill markings (Su-22)

Regarding the VF-41 Su-22 kill markings, although most modelers go with the kill marking on the tail, it apparently rotated with some frequency between the tail and the canopy rail.  It's my understanding that it was first applied to the canopy rail.  Then upon their return to NAS Oceana it was on the tail under the spade.  Then later it appeared again on the canopy rail when the Battle "E" went under the spade.  And so on.  

I once had a photo in a book (Great Book of Modern Warplanes) showing it on the canopy rail, and I've got to say I think I prefer it there.  Call me old fashioned.  (wish I still had the book and the pic)

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a preference as to tail vs canopy rail?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

Doesn't the Su- killers sheet from Furball Decals have several variations of the two aircraft? I would think that would be a good starting point if so. I'm not at home right now so I can't exactly look into my library and share more, sorry.

On 8/17/2019 at 3:21 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I once had a photo in a book (Great Book of Modern Warplanes) showing it on the canopy rail, and I've got to say I think I prefer it there.  Call me old fashioned.  (wish I still had the book and the pic)

I have that book, pic is of 107, port side. 

1 hour ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

I'm not worried about the decal sheets per se, as I can cut the decals and arrange them anywhere I want....I'm just wondering what anyone else's preference is, and if anyone else kinda likes the canopy rail look better....

I'll go with canopy rail too. There can be a lot of other stuff on the tail at times, so I'd prefer to have the markings on or near the canopy (as a modeller of course!). I do think the kill markings on the splitter plate on an F-4 look pretty cool too though.

Agreed with the splitter plate for the F-4, definitely!  Seems like the most perfect place for it.

Beyond that, canopy rail just seems so...right.  

Habu, I'd love it if you could post the pic from the book...just so I could get it back.....:)

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:21 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Regarding the VF-41 Su-22 kill markings, although most modelers go with the kill marking on the tail, it apparently rotated with some frequency between the tail and the canopy rail.  It's my understanding that it was first applied to the canopy rail.  Then upon their return to NAS Oceana it was on the tail under the spade.  Then later it appeared again on the canopy rail when the Battle "E" went under the spade.  And so on.  

I'm just wondering if anyone else has a preference as to tail vs canopy rail?

I would say it depends on what timeframe you are doing, when I was on the Nimitz in Oct/Nov 84 the kill markings was on the tail (posted a pic of it years ago, not sure if it's still in the Tomcat thread).

43 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

I would say it depends on what timeframe you are doing, when I was on the Nimitz in Oct/Nov 84 the kill markings was on the tail (posted a pic of it years ago, not sure if it's still in the Tomcat thread).

I think he's just after a personal opinion, about where you think they look best. What would be more appealing - the same aircraft with a kill marking on the tail or under/on the canopy?

Had to look this one up in my library, as I didn't recall the forward placement from memory.

Personally I prefer the tail marking, as the kill silhouette gets kinda lost in the version below the canopy (if you don't know to look for it, it's easy to miss between the rescue arrow and ejection triangle).

Not the best quality as I'm not set up for large-format scans, but for those requesting a photo here you go:

20190823-192114-1.jpg

43 minutes ago, Quixote74 said:

Had to look this one up in my library, as I didn't recall the forward placement from memory.

I found this same pic in another book (Osprey Air Combat series) with caption “taken at NAS Oceana on 4 April 1982” credit Robert F Dorr.