1/48 P-38 Lightning questions

Hi friends,

I have two P-38 questions I need help with please. The first concerns the Academy 1/48 kit.

I see on my Hasegawa kit there are a pair of vent louvres just ahead of the turbochargers on top of each boom but when I checked my Academy kit there seem to be two plastic lumps in the same position as if the louvres were filled before molding. Is this a problem with all Academy kits?

The second question concerns the Red Bull P-38. Would I need an F, G or H to build this plane?

Thanks for any help,

Regards

Pierre

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From today is on market a brand new 1/48 Tamiya kit of P-38F&G version. And is far superior to Academy or Hasegawa kit ! Yup, isn´t cheap but 25 year mold Progress is see at first Glance. When you can a beautiful early Lightning is Tamiya best choice. Hawa and Academy are now suitable for "J" version - because Tamiya isn´t make a "J" now. I build a Hasegawa kit a many years ago (in 1994) 🙂 it is nice kit, but Tamiya is more detailed in all parts… I have a few years old limited "Bougainville" from Hawa and surface details isn´t sharp- quarter of century is quarter of century - and when you can a shiny Red Bull warbird in polished chrome, is new Tamiya best choice…

I’d be curious to know why the Academy and Hasegawa P-38s are so “inferior” compared to the new Tamiya kit.  The main knocks I’ve heard against the Hasegawa kit is a fiddly fit, not gross inaccuracies.  I’m very sure Tamiya will fit better, so I’ll take that is a given.  It’s also considerably more expensive, so it should be better in some ways.

Maybe someone should do a comparison in the Showdown group build to show how much better the Tamiya kit is compared to the older kits.  Throw in the old Monogram kit that was the only previous option for decades, although it’s a different version.

• 3 weeks later...