Hasegawa 1/48 Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache

Hello all,

Here is my latest completion: Hasegawa's 1/48 AH-64D Longbow Apache. Additions are a Master gun/pitots/tail aerial and decals cobbled together from ArmyCast, the kit and an Airfix BAe Hawk. Paint is Hataka laquer. I've very unhappy with my effort on the canopy sealant and there are a few other issues which became apparent after I looked at the photos, but overall I'm pretty happy with the final product. The aircraft modelled is from http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Apache.html#AH-64D_US.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome. A build article and more photos can be seen at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-boeing-ah-64d-longbow-apache/.

Cheers

Jon

ah64d_04.jpg

ah64d_34.jpg

ah64d_35.jpg

ah64d_10.jpg

ah64d_17.jpg

ah64d_45.jpg

ah64d_31.jpg

ah64d_85.jpg?w=1000

ah64d_86.jpg?w=1000

ah64d_84.jpg?w=1000

ah64d_83.jpg

ah64d_61.jpg

ah64d_92.jpg

ah64d_62.jpg

ah64d_82.jpg

ah64d_68.jpg

ah64d_71.jpg

ah64d_66.jpg

ah64d_91.jpg

ah64d_64.jpg

ah64d_69.jpg

Very nice! One of the best 1/48 Apaches I have seen so far. How was the fit? I heard there are some problems with the nose area which stops me for taking a shot on my two Hasegawa Guardians I have in my stash.

Thanks guys.

5 hours ago, RKic said:

How do you do the white gaskets around the glass? 

This is actually my biggest disappointment with the finished kit, because they are poorly painted. I made my own masks using sheets of Tamiya masking material and a Silhouette cutter, but the shapes were not accurate enough. I'm making another one of these kits at the moment as an Israeli AH-64D-I, and for that one I will use Bare Metal Foil to mask the cockpit glass and then Tamiya tape to mask the sealant. Hasegawa mould the edge of the sealant with a decent recessed line which I think will enable to the masking to be cut accurately by hand.

1 hour ago, DanW said:

I heard there are some problems with the nose area which stops me for taking a shot on my two Hasegawa Guardians I have in my stash.

I did not have any significant fit problems. The nose, as I recall, was pretty good. It depends what your threshold is for what constitutes a problem seam. I always fill and sand all seams regardless of fit, so my tolerance may be less than yours. I used Archer Fine Transfer resin rivets to replace all the rivets I sanded away.

Cheers

Jon

• 2 months later...

Looks excellent! I would suggest trying to heat the blades a little to get a tiny bit of droop into them. The don't flex much on the Apache, but there is some. Weathering and paint looks incredibly accurate. 

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the window sealant. It is usually a giant mess depending on which PVT did the work last. Typically it is a little darker sealant color, but I have seen everything from nearly white to completely black. 

On 11/26/2019 at 4:45 PM, Helo-Engineer said:

Looks excellent! I would suggest trying to heat the blades a little to get a tiny bit of droop into them. The don't flex much on the Apache, but there is some. Weathering and paint looks incredibly accurate. 

I wouldn't be too hard on yourself about the window sealant. It is usually a giant mess depending on which PVT did the work last. Typically it is a little darker sealant color, but I have seen everything from nearly white to completely black. 

Thanks. The blades are moulded with an upward bent, and I am definitely not happy with them. Sadly I do not have the courage to try heating and bending...

Cheers

Jon