Hasegawa 1/48 Boeing AH-64D Longbow Apache

Hello all,

I posted this over in Critique Corner, but that forum doesn't get much traffic and since I used a lot of information posted in this forum since the Hasegawa kit was released, I thought I'd post it here too 🙂 Thanks to all of you who posted various bits and pieces about this kit.

This is my latest completion: Hasegawa's 1/48 AH-64D Longbow Apache. Additions are a Master gun/pitots/tail aerial and decals cobbled together from ArmyCast, the kit and an Airfix BAe Hawk. Paint is Hataka laquer. I've very unhappy with my effort on the canopy sealant and there are a few other issues which became apparent after I looked at the photos, but overall I'm pretty happy with the final product. The aircraft modelled is from http://www.b-domke.de/AviationImages/Apache.html#AH-64D_US.

Thanks for looking and comments welcome. A build article and more photos can be seen at https://jonbryon.com/hasegawa-1-48-boeing-ah-64d-longbow-apache/.

Cheers

Jon

ah64d_04.jpg

ah64d_34.jpg

ah64d_35.jpg

ah64d_10.jpg

ah64d_17.jpg

ah64d_45.jpg

ah64d_31.jpg

ah64d_85.jpg?w=1000

ah64d_86.jpg?w=1000

ah64d_84.jpg?w=1000

ah64d_83.jpg

ah64d_61.jpg

ah64d_92.jpg

ah64d_62.jpg

ah64d_82.jpg

ah64d_68.jpg

ah64d_71.jpg

ah64d_66.jpg

ah64d_91.jpg

ah64d_64.jpg

ah64d_69.jpg

I have to agree with Loach.  The finish is perfect.  It's difficult to do, but I think the main rotor blades would look better with a little droop.  Great build.  Thanks for sharing.  

Thanks for your comments and feedback everyone.

8 hours ago, huey_crew_chief said:

Looks great.  What colors did you use to fade it? 

The main finish is Hataka FS34031 over Gunze Mr Finishing Surfacer Black primer. This accounts for a lot of the patchiness. There is then some further overspraying with the Hataka paint mixed with one of their sand shades to lighten it, followed by some oil paint washes of various light and dark shades.

6 hours ago, Tgoetz said:

It's difficult to do, but I think the main rotor blades would look better with a little droop. 

Yes, this is absolutely fair. The main problem is that the Hasegawa blades are a little warped, and in the wrong direction! So mine actually bend upwards a little. I've never had the nerve to try the hot water method of getting blades to droop, and probably never will 😞

Cheers

Jon

• 3 weeks later...

Looks really nice, and I especially like the fading on the finish.  If I may offer one bit of criticism, the de-icing wires have not been used on the -64 rotor head since the 1990s.  They really shouldn't include them in the kit anymore, as no operational Longbow has ever flown with them.

And, slightly tongue in cheek, but whomever shut down that helicopter didn't follow their checklist!  They didn't stow their searchlight or zero out their stabilator!  (used to get all sorts of grief if we didn't follow the checklist!!)

Edited by Cobrahistorian
1 hour ago, Cobrahistorian said:

Looks really nice, and I especially like the fading on the finish.  If I may offer one bit of criticism, the de-icing wires have not been used on the -64 rotor head since the 1990s.  They really shouldn't include them in the kit anymore, as no operational Longbow has ever flown with them.

And, slightly tongue in cheek, but whomever shut down that helicopter didn't follow their checklist!  They didn't stow their searchlight or zero out their stabilator!  (used to get all sorts of grief if we didn't follow the checklist!!)

Thanks Cobrahistorian!

The info on the de-icing wires is really useful - too late for this build, but I can omit them on the AH-64D-I Saraf I'm painting at the moment.

My article spells out the reason the light is shown deployed - I realised too late that it should be stowed (it doesn't fit stowed once painted). I've already fitted it stowed on my Israeli Apache.

The stabilator is all Hasegawa - it's moulded that way 😉

Many thanks

Jon

On 9/9/2019 at 10:04 PM, Cobrahistorian said:

Jon,

I know, as I said, it was tongue in cheek.  :beer4:It's a really nice model.  I'm somewhat inspired to finish the A and D models sitting on my workbench.  Gotta clear out a few things first though!

J

👍

Jon

• 4 weeks later...