Monogram RF-101B Voodoo 1/48

I finally got hold of Monogram RF-101B. 

Its 1980s vintage with raised panel lines. Nonetheless details are very sharp for its age and the cockpit is more than adequate, better by many miles the rubbish Kitty Hawk has produced in their more recent F-101 kit. 

The dilemma I have is that its a very old box and since the kit was produced in 80s, the little decal sheet it has seems to have badly aged. It seems like the decals may not even work! 

Do you guys know if there is any aftermarket  decal sheet for RF-101B? 

Thanks  

I am not aware of any decals for the RF-101B, unless microscale did a sheet back in the 80s. You might be surprised, the decals probably will work, those thick monogram decals are very resilient.   There are some generic decals on the sheet, like the remove before flight tags which you can sacrifice to test the decal sheet. If they shatter then you can try some microscale decal film.

Or you can buy the kittyhawk kit, and build it as a gray F-101B and use the included RF-101B decals on your monogram kit. (the kittyhawk kit can be built either way) 

It is a cool kit,  I hope to get around to mine someday.  

I chose this kit over KittyHawk. I had Monogram F-101B kit already. Partially built it. Its cockpit, overall accuracy is much better than KH offer that I have read in reviews. RF-101B is the same kit but with another sprue for the the nose, cockpit consoles and additional clear parts for the underside camera windows. 

If kit decals dont work, may be looking for generic decals will. 

There were two 1/48 F-101 decal sheets from Almark way back in the Stone Age. I’m pretty sure one of them had some RF-101B decals. 

It would probably be easier to find some decals for an F-4 and piece together the serial number on the tail. Both jets used the same size. The 15” national insignia, ejection seat triangles, and formation strip lights would also be the same for both jets. The only thing you’d have to do on your own would be the data placard (“RF-101B Serial No. xx-xxxx/Service this aircraft with...”).  I’ve drawn those up on my computer and printed them on clear decal paper.

Agreed about the Monogram vs KH cockpit. KH should be ashamed of theirs.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown
Spelling fixed
7 minutes ago, Ben Brown said:

The were two 1/48 F-101 decal sheets from Almark way back in the Stone Age. I’m pretty sure one of them had some RF-101B decals. 

Oh that is right. I have those sheets, I will check to see if they have a B option later tonight. 

I had them too!  I remember the sheet being one 8.5x11 sheet approx. that was one solid decal so that each marking had to be cut out and trimmed.  They were also quite thick as I recall.  But they were the only game for a RF-101C at the time (early 90's)

Geoff M

The decal sheet does not have any stencils. If not for the markings, does Almark sheet cover stencils for may be another version which can be used on this kit? 

The kit does not have a lot of parts but it covers all the RF-101B areas like cockpit consoles, the blanking plate of right shape and detail for the rotary weapons bay and antennas at the bottom of the modified nose. All these details are missing in KH kit. What a shame!  

It looks like the Almark sheets have the major markings, but not stencils. 

Did the RF-101B have a lot of stencils? I could not find too many pictures, but it looks like there were not many markings other than the RESCUE arrows, the triangle warnings for the ejection seats, and  the tail number, and insignias.  I could see they did not appear to look like mid 70s phantoms with so many stencils it looked like they were covered in snow.  If you can not use the kit decals, then Ben Brown's idea is probably your best bet.

I would like to do a head to head build off of the Monogram and Kitty Hawk kit.  

Are there any images of how those camera windows looked like? Are the cameras or other details visible through those windows? 

Could be fun scratch building those details. 

Edited by stalal