Weathering a Mosquito cockpit

Hi,

Been a very long time since I posted here. Life got busy for a while and am finally slowly getting back into modelling.

I'm working on a 1/48 Mosquito FB. VI and am looking for a way to weather the cockpit - specifically make the green look more grungier than it already is.

I've got this picture in mind as I find it'll give the cockpit a more realistic appearance:

mosquitobivfd_004.jpg

mosquitobivfd_005.jpg

(Photos are from Google)

I'm thinking an oil wash as I used Model Master non-toxic acrylic and Tamiya acrylics for the main colors.

Would anyone be willing to suggest an appropriate color and technique/how to guide on making a cockpit look similar to this?

I've used Tamiya's panel line accenter for some of the smaller details, but I'd like to go for a more weathered appearance.

Thanks!

Chris

When I'm trying to make a grungy, dirty look, I will first give the area a gloss coat and do a pin wash. Then I apply a flat lacquer coat and when completely dry use oil paints of various greys, dark browns, near black and thin them with Turpenoid to make washes and filters that I apply to areas using a fine brush. Sometimes I will wet an area with Turpenoid using a flat brush, not a lot, just enough to make the area damp. Then I will apply the washes and let them spread. It gives the area a grungy stained appearance. If you use too much, it can be removed with a brush and clean Turpenoid. One must experiment with this technique to find the right amount of wash/filters to use. I would suggest an old model used as a paint mule for this purpose. I think the person who did the cockpit in the pics you posted used a similar technique. You can see the wash on the front floor panel where it bends down.

Another way to get a grungy appearance is to use pigments, but I find them more difficult to control. Plus, coating used on top of pigments often diminish the effects significantly.

Hope this helped.

I saw the title from the main forum page and was going to recommend a good microscope:

Title_zps222s9wyc.jpg

Can't really help you with weathering advice other than to say that Mstor's recommendations are sound.

You can find a build article of that particular model here: http://hsfeatures.com/features04/mosquitobivfd_1.htm

The article doesn't go into any detail other than mentioning that he used artists oil paints and chalk pastels.

It does include a link to the builders website where you can see more pics.

Welcome back to ARC and modeling!

:cheers:

Edited by Zactoman
Fixed pic
14 minutes ago, Zactoman said:

I saw the title from the main forum page and was going to recommend a good microscope:

Title_zpsjudlc7e2.jpg

Can't really help you with weathering advice other than to say that Mstor's recommendations are sound.

You can find a build article of that particular model here: http://hsfeatures.com/features04/mosquitobivfd_1.htm

The article doesn't go into any detail other than mentioning that he used artists oil paints and chalk pastels.

Thank you! It's great to be back into modeling and back on ARC. I'm doing this as a way to help rebuild dexterity after a major accident and so far it's helping! 

Plus, I do have fun building these airplanes. I've been collecting models for years as I planned on going on a building spree during the winter months.

1 hour ago, Mstor said:

When I'm trying to make a grungy, dirty look, I will first give the area a gloss coat and do a pin wash. Then I apply a flat lacquer coat and when completely dry use oil paints of various greys, dark browns, near black and thin them with Turpenoid to make washes and filters that I apply to areas using a fine brush. Sometimes I will wet an area with Turpenoid using a flat brush, not a lot, just enough to make the area damp. Then I will apply the washes and let them spread. It gives the area a grungy stained appearance. If you use too much, it can be removed with a brush and clean Turpenoid. One must experiment with this technique to find the right amount of wash/filters to use. I would suggest an old model used as a paint mule for this purpose. I think the person who did the cockpit in the pics you posted used a similar technique. You can see the wash on the front floor panel where it bends down.

Another way to get a grungy appearance is to use pigments, but I find them more difficult to control. Plus, coating used on top of pigments often diminish the effects significantly.

Hope this helped.

Tried that technique - except without a gloss clear coat. It worked well for me and didn't make too much of a mess! 

Thanks again!

9 hours ago, Zactoman said:

Title_zps222s9wyc.jpg

Oh crap, how am I going to live down that one? :naughty:

Too funny. You made my day Zactoman, thanks!

Just a dark brown wash should do fine.  If you are so inclined, hit it with pastels (my new go-to weathering tool).   Keep in mind, at 48th scale, with the canopy on, you aren't going to have that much really visible.