ARC Discussion Forums
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
Sign in to follow this  
janman

1/48 HB Soviet T-34/85, My old souvenir from the NYC

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I had bought this kit over a decade ago all the way from New York City. The store was supposed to be the sole hobby shop in Manhattan and although the selection wasn't that spectacular, I chose this kit since at that time I had been reading a lot about the Eastern Front and I knew this was supposed to be a nice kit with all the interior details like its bigger Trumpeter cousin. 

I also had read the fit wasn't necessarily that good and that many parts would have flash on them. That really was the case. Through the years I had tried to start this kit several times but to no avail. I still read about the WWII and now that my 7 years old son is interested in armour (we've watched movies like Fury and Saving Private Ryan and of course B of B TV series and he plays World of Tanks) I finally had the urge to tackle with this kit.

This is actually my first proper tank model after chilhood's Matchbox armour. No AM parts were used but for the first time I used several MiG (or AK) weathering products. I also tried to achieve some streaking effects with oils - for the first time as well. My goal was a pretty fresh machine but with some obvious signs of use in dry summer conditions - somewhere in the Eastern Front.

The only scratched additions are in the fighting compartment and in the engine bay. The diesel lines and some wiring and cabling were added here. Oh, and the antenna and its spring mount was made from wire.

The turret was completely smooth on the surface so I used liquid glue to soften it  up and then used an old toothbrush to achieve that harsh look of cast steel.

Edited by janman

ruAiaCH.jpg

iZQAzWl.jpg

0It9hVR.jpg

3Lc8WMN.jpg

1cAEuHF.jpg