Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
janman

1/48 HB Soviet T-34/85, My old souvenir from the NYC

Recommended Posts

Yeah, I had bought this kit over a decade ago all the way from New York City. The store was supposed to be the sole hobby shop in Manhattan and although the selection wasn't that spectacular, I chose this kit since at that time I had been reading a lot about the Eastern Front and I knew this was supposed to be a nice kit with all the interior details like its bigger Trumpeter cousin. 


I also had read the fit wasn't necessarily that good and that many parts would have flash on them. That really was the case. Through the years I had tried to start this kit several times but to no avail. I still read about the WWII and now that my 7 years old son is interested in armour (we've watched movies like Fury and Saving Private Ryan and of course B of B TV series and he plays World of Tanks) I finally had the urge to tackle with this kit.


This is actually my first proper tank model after chilhood's Matchbox armour. No AM parts were used but for the first time I used several MiG (or AK) weathering products. I also tried to achieve some streaking effects with oils - for the first time as well. My goal was a pretty fresh machine but with some obvious signs of use in dry summer conditions - somewhere in the Eastern Front.

 

The only scratched additions are in the fighting compartment and in the engine bay. The diesel lines and some wiring and cabling were added here. Oh, and the antenna and its spring mount was made from wire.

 

The turret was completely smooth on the surface so I used liquid glue to soften it  up and then used an old toothbrush to achieve that harsh look of cast steel.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by janman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  ruAiaCH.jpg

 

iZQAzWl.jpg

 

 

0It9hVR.jpg

 

3Lc8WMN.jpg

 

1cAEuHF.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hiya mate!

 

Not sure you remember me. we had some discussion on russian jets several years ago. I´ve only just returned to modelling after a loong break. And thought I´d say hi. 🙂  

This is such a nice model. Is it still mostly brushpainted? I know you´re a master with the "hairy-stick". Love the detail work. Especially the visible engine.

 

Kind regards! 

 

Emil from Sweden 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sure I remember you, Emil! Good to see you here!

 

No, the outer hull is painted with AK's Soviet green spray and the interior with Tamiya spray white. Everything else is brush painted though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Janman, fantastic looking build! I’m not an armor guy so I really don’t know what I’m looking at but I do recognize a skilled modeler!

I was curious as to how you accomplished some of your weathering.

Specifically the oil spots on the front right fender.

You see, I’m interested because this is often seen on rotary wing aircraft which have a leaking seal on the rotor head. As the head turns it slings oil across the top of the fuselage creating these random soaked-in oil spots.

This is the first time I’ve seen this effect pulled of realistically!

Again, fantastic build and thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hooker169 said:

Janman, fantastic looking build! I’m not an armor guy so I really don’t know what I’m looking at but I do recognize a skilled modeler!

I was curious as to how you accomplished some of your weathering.

Specifically the oil spots on the front right fender.

 

 

Thanks for your kind words! It's awfully quiet here so it's extremely nice to hear comments especially when I'm very inexperienced in armour.

 

Like many great innovations, this too happened by accident. 😄  I'm fond of the end result though and that's why I left it there and even took some close ups.

 

The fenders were treated with Ammo of Mig Jimenez dust pigment, most probably "Europe Earth". Remember this was supposed to represent dry summer conditions on the Russian steppe. Then, I decided to add some fresh, more wet mud for the chassis, cause maybe they had encountered a mud pit somewhere anyhow. Ammo enamel based Wet Mud was used here and I sprinkled some on the top of the fenders (that were treated with dust pigment) as well.

 

This is where the magic happened. Since the stuff is so thick and yet solvent based, it made these nice but restrained and genuinely wet looking spots! 

Edited by janman
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply! 
That’s perfect, I’m ordering both of those today!

Obviously I’ll need to test it out but I think this just might work.

Again, great build and thanks for being so open to revealing your secrets!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...