GB Idea - Old vs. New

As you may have noticed we are out of new Group builds. An idea came to me and i wanted to see if there was even an inkling of support out there. Here is the concept

A head to head build off of two kits of the same subject, a new release, and an old standby. Each participant  builds both models, and we can all see if the new kit is an improvement.

Examples: (all 1/48)

Kittyhawk f-101b vs. Monogram

Trumpeter F-106 vs. Monogram

Zoukei mura phantom vs. Hasegawa

Et cetera

Or make it easy and do 1/72 props. What ever. 

Thoughts? Is it poll worthy? Anyone wanna try?

Edited by Kurt H.

Very interested here as well. I’m all for the Trumpy F-106 v Monogram. I’ve been waiting for a reason to pick it up from Sprue Bros. The ZM Phantom build would be a blast as well! I’m in for the Dart fest if the GB pans out.

Yeah, I´m usually so much interested in doing a lot of models, that I don´t want to spend my precious time with an "old" and outdated kit. But I´m interested in a new GB, as long as it fits my interest.

HAJO

Has potential. As you mention next week we will be sans group builds. Make this a poll question.  Get your 25 votes then give us the write up. I'll vote yes.  But as we have so much trouble getting people to complete one build in 6 months, we may need to extend this one longer.

1 hour ago, Hajo L. said:

Yeah, I´m usually so much interested in doing a lot of models, that I don´t want to spend my precious time with an "old" and outdated kit. But I´m interested in a new GB, as long as it fits my interest.

HAJO

I have come to a similar conclusion, I have started to believe life is too short for old kits.  But I still have quite a few of them, so it is a good excuse to build one and reduce the kit hoard.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Has potential. As you mention next week we will be sans group builds. Make this a poll question.  Get your 25 votes then give us the write up. I'll vote yes.  But as we have so much trouble getting people to complete one build in 6 months, we may need to extend this one longer.

Working on it. I am just having trouble writing clear, concise rules to accurately describe my vision for this Group build.  I am trying to balance the goals of making the GB appeal to the greatest number of participants,  without diluting the concept.

🤨

So I need some feedback on potential rules

kits should be same scale, same subject, and same major variant, but it can get complicated pretty quickly.

So RF-101B & RF-101B good

RF-101B & F-101C no good

F-101B and RF-101B  ? not sure

P-51D (early) and P-51D (late) ok

then corner cases like

P-51D and P-51K (same but different factories) OK

P-51D and P-51B .. no

But other aircraft like the spitfire have many variants, but very subtle changes between marks, but two consecutive marks could be very different, and then a later mark is much like ones several marks back. 🤷‍♂️

I also have a rule in mind that kits should be of different eras .. Old VS. New ...

Some of these are obvious,  (all 1/48) like Monogram F-105 vs HobbyBoss F-105

But then you have something like 

Hasegawa P-51D vs Tamiya P-51D .... you could argue they are different eras, Hasegawa could be "first wave" of the japanese superkit, and Tamiya is a later generation Japanese Superkit.

Then two kits could be close in age, but much different in the technologies used to create the kit, so a set number of years between kits is not a good criteria, but my goal is to try and compare different eras of kit design with the same subject. 

So I am not sure how to quantify the rules. But these are the broad guidelines. I want to see if newer really is better.

Thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks

I like the idea a lot, and would participate. I would go light on the rules though. I think that has hurt participation in the past.

Some folks may not want to revisit older kits. Maybe allow partial or completed models to qualify.

For example:

If someone gave up on an older kit mid-build, or has a golden oldie setting completed on the shelf, allow these to be part of the Old-New comparison.

I personally have a Monogram F-16 I built last year for the Revell Monogram GB. I’ve often thought of doing a new Tamiya build, as a comparison.

Tamiya v. Airfix 1/48 P-51D is old v. new.

@TheRealMrEd has a good idea, kits of the same subject regardless of era or manufacturer. Perhaps you could call it "This v. That", which indeed includes "Old v. New". 

Bill is right , go light on the rules. I think any two kits of the same name. A Mustang is a mustang. A Tomcat is a Tomcat. Even if one is an A and one a D. Hornet and Super Hornet of course are two different things.

But I also would not worry about scale. One of the big things about group builds is to lower the stash. For example I have a new Tamiya 1/48 Tomcat A. But I also have a 1/32 Tamiya Tomcat. VERY different technology and I think would be good to compare.

I don't know guys. Look back on the history of Group Builds on ARC in the last 5 years and see how many entrants finished even one build let alone two. (excluding phantom).

I think you're asking allot for each entrant to finish Two.

Good feedback, thank you very much. I agree on going easy on the rules, my big kit, small scale build required a team of lawyers to interpret the rules. I want to avoid that, and now I think I can.

So since it is a two kit build can we make it a year long build?   Then if you do not finish you must blow up the unfinished models with firecrackers, or smash them with paving stones as incentive to finish. 😁

Edited by Kurt H.