LF a pic: cat floating in F-100 cockpit

Been trying to find a pic that was an inside cover picture in what I believe was a hardback 10th anniversary of the USAF publication.  My dad had this book (actually it was 2 books) back in the late 50's.  Blue covers, about 12x14 or so.  When you opened the cover on one of them the two pages formed the pic. Had something to do with aeromedical research but the cat was floating in the back seat of an F-100.  GIB took the pic while they were in 0 g so you're looking at the cat, paws spread floating against the back drop of the canopy. 

Anyone perhaps have those books or maybe seen that picture?

Hi Parabat,

Thanks. Not the same pic but similar. This will work though.  The one in that book I mentioned was taken by the back seater so he’s not in the pic ... just the cat framed against the canopy, legs spread wide like he’s trying to right himself.  

Funny, it’s the only thing from those books I remember.  

As to why a cat ... was some kind of research relating to its sense of balance and how it might help pilots flying the new, fast jets. Remember, this was back in the late 50’s.

Where did you find the picture?

again, thanks

Gary

4 minutes ago, Gary F said:

Hi Parabat,

Thanks. Not the same pic but similar. This will work though.  

Where did you find the picture?

again, thanks

Gary

Ah, right. I just typed in 'cat zero gravity' into an image search!

Thanks again Parabat.  I’d begun to think maybe I was remembering details wrong but I read further down the book link you provided and sure enough they also used a couple TF-100F’s in the 0g research. 

2 hours ago, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

Oh, dear God, imagine having to eject with an animal like that, trying to save it as well....😲

Well at least you know you'd land on your feet....   :rofl:

If I'm not mistaken, this experiment was intended to shed light on how cats self-right themselves to land on their feet.   That's why It's a cat and not some other animal.    I believe what they discovered was that in zero gravity, the cat can no longer right itself... but they were able to see how the cat attempts to do so, and apparently it has something to do with the way they manipulate their tails. 

Many years later, Mythbusters did it too, and they did mention this experiment. 

On 8/24/2019 at 8:06 PM, afoxbat said:

Pretty sure both were pressurized  but not sure to what altitude. No pressure suits in the picture.

No pressure suit, but looks like he is wearing a poopy suit. Maybe to guard against an angry cat with claws?