Dassault Rafale color

35 minutes ago, Sysxii said:

I messed around mixing the colors that are called out for in the Syhart instructions. I did a sample with Model Master and Tamiya. This is what I got.

IMG_4642.JPG

Interesting. Darker than I thought it would be. Oh well.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:29 AM, Mstor said:

I believe they have their own paint/color system like the FS system that the US uses. I would think that they would make color samples available so that manufacturers can mix paints to match their standard. In fact, I think I remember someone posting some information about the French system a while back but I have no idea which thread it was in.

LINK here to modern French colors.

Regards,

Murph

3 hours ago, Sysxii said:

Yep, I thought the same thing! I guess the research continues 🤓

I double checked the Syhart paint mixes, and for the Rafale B/C it should be 75% Model Master (Testors) 1725 and 25% 1741 not 1721. The instructions don't have any for Tamiya paints. I'm looking at set 915 Rafale B/C/M Standard Marks.

2 hours ago, Murph said:

LINK here to modern French colors.

Regards,

Murph

Yea, I have that document. I does have some color samples (approximations). Cant seem to find the ones for the Rafale versions and I don't know the ANFOR designations for those colors. I'm hoping that Jamie from Sovereign Hobbies over on Britmodeler will be able to come up with something. In any case, that document is in French and a lot of it highly technical. I have no hope of trying to understand it :gr_eek2:

16 hours ago, Mstor said:

I double checked the Syhart paint mixes, and for the Rafale B/C it should be 75% Model Master (Testors) 1725 and 25% 1741 not 1721. The instructions don't have any for Tamiya paints. I'm looking at set 915 Rafale B/C/M Standard Marks.

Well that's embarrassing 😂

Using the correct mixes this time, this is what I got. It still seemed dark so I added some white to the mix just to see what it does. It almost seems like from the reference photos, this would be a factory fresh finish, with the color fading in different ways with use. This is just as challenging as matching Russian colors 😂

IMG_4663.jpg

4 hours ago, Sysxii said:

Well that's embarrassing 😂

Using the correct mixes this time, this is what I got. It still seemed dark so I added some white to the mix just to see what it does. It almost seems like from the reference photos, this would be a factory fresh finish, with the color fading in different ways with use. This is just as challenging as matching Russian colors 😂

IMG_4663.jpg

That does look closer to grey used on the B/C versions and the color used by Red Dog on his models of the Rafale. Thanks!

On 9/3/2019 at 6:41 PM, Mstor said:

That does look closer to grey used on the B/C versions and the color used by Red Dog on his models of the Rafale. Thanks!

You know, it just seems a little too gray for my eye. I just see more of a blue hue so today I switched the ratios and tried 75% 1741 and 25% 1725. To me this seems to have a little more blue hue to it. The Syhart call out is next to it for comparison. I hope you can see it well enough, it was kind of a challenge to get the correct light. 

IMG_4677.JPG

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, mindless_automata said:
71.277 Dark Gull Gray from Vallejo?

That's just a suggestion from Vallejo, which may or may not work.  For example, from the image above, Vallejo suggests to use the same color for the darker blue on both the Mirage F1.C and the Mirage 2000.  We all know that those two shades of blue are vastly different in real life.

On 1/13/2021 at 2:47 PM, RichardL said:

That's just a suggestion from Vallejo, which may or may not work.  For example, from the image above, Vallejo suggests to use the same color for the darker blue on both the Mirage F1.C and the Mirage 2000.  We all know that those two shades of blue are vastly different in real life.

Agreed. I would not follow those suggestions on the box for sure. The Dark Gull Gray will work ok for a Marine Rafale only. The Chad scheme they show looks way out of wack.

• 2 years later...