Are stashes normal?

I recently got back into plastic modeling (had been doing the flying kind for a long time). I've found that there were a bunch of subjects, paint jobs and markings that I wanted to model. I'm an air traffic controller and want to model all the military aircraft that I had the privilege to work over the years. The problem is there are a bunch of kits and decal sets that are out of production. I am generally able to track them down but it takes some effort and I seem to always want to buy two or more. Maybe to sell them later or just have them because I know I can't get them anymore.

It seems like the "stash" is kind of normal but wanted to know if others are in the same boat.

...is there anyone who DOESN'T have a stash??

I know I never intended for one, when I started building as a teen, but it just....happened....

I'm down to 18.  Built or sold everything else.  Was up over a a hundred at one time but wouldn't admit it.

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy
18 hours ago, sideshow said:

Are stashes normal?

Yes.

Yes, they are.

Surely everyone has cardboard boxes filled with plastic parts worth a small car or two in their basement, right?

Right?

RIGHT?????

2 hours ago, foxmulder_ms said:

I have 12 in my stash. I hate myself for it. I just have too much ambition.  

I have around 700 in the stash. I hate myself about 58 times as much. 😉

39 minutes ago, viper730 said:

I've lost count.

I was forced to acknowledge my stash problem when I had to create a spreadsheet of my stash in an effort to not buy a kit I forgot I already had.  

All items in my stash, that may or may not exist, are in a Google spreadsheet. This enables me to check at home or on the road, on my desktop, tablet, or phone.

There are tabs for kits, AM, and books. Multiple kits are OK, but multiple copies of the same book is dumb as a post.... 

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

I was forced to acknowledge my stash problem when I had to create a spreadsheet of my stash in an effort to not buy a kit I forgot I already had.  

Been there, done that. Still bought one I was sure I didn't have yet. :bandhead2:

Don't have a stash , don't want one, don't need one. I use to but a lot of it I lost interest in. Now I build what i want and when.

With the stash I had way too may WIPs. If you like them that's fine. they just caused all kind of problems for me, JMO .  jon

An avid reader sometimes has a library.

A music lover may have a record collection.

A movie fan may have a DVD or blu-ray collection.

A woodworker may have a lot of tools and special wood.

So a modeler may have a kit collection. Nothing wrong or right about it, although like anything else, when you lose your ability to do it in moderation, other aspects of your life may suffer. Some modelers are OK with that, but I would guess that most of us are making an effort to make sure the hobby doesn’t become an unhealthy obsession. If I can afford to have $10,000 tied up in kits and aftermarket and supplies, then that’s no different than the person next door buying a boat or a classic car. 

On 8/25/2019 at 3:27 PM, Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy said:

...is there anyone who DOESN'T have a stash??

I know I never intended for one, when I started building as a teen, but it just....happened....

I'm down to 18.  Built or sold everything else.  Was up over a a hundred at one time but wouldn't admit it.

Only a 100, amateur! LOL