Group Build Poll: The Showdown

Will You participate in the Showdown GB ?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will You participate in the Showdown GB ?

• Yes
    • neat idea, but not for me

I came up with an idea for a group build, and it was suggested to put it to a poll. The Original thread is here .

The concept for this group build is to have a showdown , a throwdown, deathmatch,  battle royale or whatever you want to call it between two or more kits of the same subject. Ideally, They would be considerably different in time between releases or different eras. In the past few years there have been many new kits released of subjects for which there is an existing, but much older kit.  The goal of this group build is to explore whether new is really better, and to compare & contrast the differences between the kits.

To maintain order there will need to be rules, here is what I propose:

Two or more kits shall be of the same subject, they may be of different scales.

The two kits can be of different variants but they must be of the same subject. So: 

F-14A vs F-14D - ok

F/A-18C vs F-18E super hornet no - it is a significantly different plane

Construction is required on both kits, one should be a whole build, and the other can be from the shelf of doom, but should still require painting or some major step to finish. If the other kit is almost done, please provide a link to a build thread or summarize your experience with the build, with your impressions, any issues encountered, and what you did to overcome said issues.

Since this GB involves the construction of two models, I suggest This GB runs for 1 year.   And I would like to begin as soon as possible after reaching 25 yes votes  in order to maintain interest.

Here are some ideas (all in in 1/48)

Tamiya F-14 vs. Monogram F-14 

Tamiya F-14 vs. Hasegawa F-14

HobbyBoss F-105 vs Monogram F-105

Trumpeter F-106 vs. Monogram F-106

Mustang Battle Royale

Eduard vs. Meng vs. Airfix vs. Tamiya vs. Hasegawa vs.Monogram vs. Old Revell vs. Hawk

Phantom Throwdown

Zoukei Mura Vs. Academy vs. Hasegawa vs. Monogram vs Old Revel vs. Esci vs Testors

Some interesting 1/32 possibilities- 

Zoukei Mura p-51 vs Monogram Phantom Mustang

Trumpeter P-51B vs Revell P-51B

There are so many possibilites, from the absurd, to the comparison of two similar kits. The choice is yours.

Edited by Kurt H.

Hi,

If this goes through, I'm definitely in.

There are several subjects that I'd like to build multiples of, but Eduard's Mustang release has my attention for the moment.

The other kit would be the Tamiya Mustang, but I might add the Monogram or Hasegawa kit as well.

Cheers, Stefan.

Dumb question.... but....

Does one person have to build two aircraft or can Stefan ( for example ) build his Strike Eagle and I build the other, as lond as they are same scale but different manufacturers ?  

My reasoning is ... as many times as I have tried to participate in a build, life gets in the way and i barely finish the kit abiet very late past the end date.

3 hours ago, adamitri said:

Does one person have to build two aircraft or can Stefan ( for example ) build his Strike Eagle and I build the other, as lond as they are same scale but different manufacturers ?  

My reasoning is ... as many times as I have tried to participate in a build, life gets in the way and i barely finish the kit abiet very late past the end date.

Both models are to be built by the same person.  There will be 1 year to finish. If you are building two models of the same subject, some time will be saved by painting parts for both models, so it should only take a little longer than doing 1. 

One year? I'm in! Been waiting for the run time on a group build to be extended beyond 6 months for a loooooooong time. Now if we could just get some of them pinned...

Been thinking about a side-by-side build of DML's and Eduard's Fokker Triplane and I might just throw in Classic Airframes' and Airfix's B.P. Defiant.

You need to convince Neo of the extended time. Right now, Kurts idea is a proposal, not a sure thing. I think a year is logical for this idea. But I am not the only uber mod. I think it will work mostly as this will be the ONLY group build on ARC. Unless someone else steps up to lead another.

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 3:07 AM, adamitri said:

Hi,

Probably a moot point, but I did not intend to build a Strike Eagle in this GB. The GWH kit would be for a Kadena F-15C and the Hasegawa kit for a Desert Storm F-15C (probably Eglin's "Gulf Spirit").

Cheers, Stefan.

6 hours ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Probably a moot point, but I did not intend to build a Strike Eagle in this GB. The GWH kit would be for a Kadena F-15C and the Hasegawa kit for a Desert Storm F-15C (probably Eglin's "Gulf Spirit").

Cheers, Stefan.

My intention was to you as an example only as a buddy build, not pinning you down to a specific a/c type. My apologies if offended.

6 hours ago, adamitri said:

My intention was to you as an example only as a buddy build, not pinning you down to a specific a/c type. My apologies if offended.

Hi,

No worries, no offence taken.

If anything , I should feel honoured to be mentioned as a potential buddy.

Cheers, Stefan.

6 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

I'd be down for this. Revell F-15E and GWH F-15C?

Yeah that sounds good. As far as I know the -E and the -C are variants of the same design. 

you can make it an Eagle apocalypse with the 1/48 1977 original revell f-15A https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-kikoler-h-288-f-15a-streak-eagle--1170093

and Italeri 1/48 f-15 , and Fujimi .. and so on ....😉

Voted "yes". :thumbsup:

1/72 Vipers - Hasegawa vs Tamiya! Life is too short for crappy old kits (and crappy new kits, I guess), but Hasegawa's 1/2 F-16 is still decent enough.

Hmmm, there are also a couple of RoG F-16s in the stash.....

Other options I would consider for the GB. "Option" meaning I have an old kit in the stash and think it's still worth building.

1/72 Harrier GR.1/3 - ESCI/Italeri vs Airfix

1/72 F/A-18 A/C Hornet - Hasegawa vs Academy

1/72 BAe Hawk - Italeri vs Airfix vs Revell

1/72 P-51D Mustang - Tamiya vs Airfix

6 hours ago, phantom said:

Have over half your votes.......Keep going.

Just 10 more votes .... Join us, reduce that stash, and show your fellow modelers what to expect with two kits of the same subject. You will be performing a valuable service so everyone will know which kit to build!

Edited by Kurt H.
On ‎9‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:03 PM, phantom said:

Have over half your votes.......Keep going.

Why bother with votes? Most of the people who vote on group builds end up bailing anyway. What has been the most successful group build recently? The Revell/Monogram build?  What made that GB successful?  In my opinion, it was the quick start time (nobody moved on to other builds waiting for this GB to start) and the wide open rules.  Like the Monogram/Revell GB, this sounds like a great way to clear out stashes without a bunch of stringent rules in place. Since @Kurt H. proposed this build, I'm assuming he's willing to run it. Let's get a start date as soon as possible and let it run for a year as proposed. Then market the GB in the other forums that see heavier traffic like "Jet Modelling." Strike while the iron is hot. You've got 15 members RIGHT NOW who voted their interest. 15 active builds at the start of a GB is a much better start than most of the others in recent memory.  Just food for thought.