Group Build Poll: The Showdown

Will You participate in the Showdown GB ?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will You participate in the Showdown GB ?

• Yes
    • neat idea, but not for me

5 minutes ago, picknpluck said:

Why bother with votes? Most of the people who vote on group builds end up bailing anyway. What has been the most successful group build recently? The Revell/Monogram build?  What made that GB successful?  In my opinion, it was the quick start time (nobody moved on to other builds waiting for this GB to start) and the wide open rules.  Like the Monogram/Revell GB, this sounds like a great way to clear out stashes without a bunch of stringent rules in place. Since @Kurt H. proposed this build, I'm assuming he's willing to run it. Let's get a start date as soon as possible and let it run for a year as proposed. Then market the GB in the other forums that see heavier traffic like "Jet Modelling." Strike while the iron is hot. You've got 15 members RIGHT NOW who voted their interest. 15 active builds at the start of a GB is a much better start than most of the others in recent memory.  Just food for thought.

I could not say it any better. And yes I am willing to run the build. 

1 hour ago, picknpluck said:

Why bother with votes? Most of the people who vote on group builds end up bailing anyway. What has been the most successful group build recently? The Revell/Monogram build?  What made that GB successful?  In my opinion, it was the quick start time (nobody moved on to other builds waiting for this GB to start) and the wide open rules.  Like the Monogram/Revell GB, this sounds like a great way to clear out stashes without a bunch of stringent rules in place. Since @Kurt H. proposed this build, I'm assuming he's willing to run it. Let's get a start date as soon as possible and let it run for a year as proposed. Then market the GB in the other forums that see heavier traffic like "Jet Modelling." Strike while the iron is hot. You've got 15 members RIGHT NOW who voted their interest. 15 active builds at the start of a GB is a much better start than most of the others in recent memory.  Just food for thought.

Hey, preaching to the choir, but i am not the only person required for approval. Rules were made, some rules recently changed, like timings. But the 25 is one that seems set in stone. To which I agree, 25 may be high. But 15 yes tends to work out to 5 completed kit

Just now, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

With at least 2 models per participant and 16 votes, we should have 32 models at the starting line already.

Cheers, Stefan.

Good point! C'mon admins, pull the trigger on this thing! Strike while the iron is hot!

As long as the rules will simply allow building two different kits of the same aircraft type -- different kit manufacturers for instance, I'll enter, in 1/72 scale of course!  I have a few pair of kits that I'd like to do a comparison build on, but please don;t restrict it to old vs new for example -- I've got plenty of old ones I'd like to build, some of which there ARE NO new kits...

Ed

2 hours ago, TheRealMrEd said:

As long as the rules will simply allow building two different kits of the same aircraft type -- different kit manufacturers for instance, I'll enter, in 1/72 scale of course!  I have a few pair of kits that I'd like to do a comparison build on, but please don;t restrict it to old vs new for example -- I've got plenty of old ones I'd like to build, some of which there ARE NO new kits...

Ed

That is correct. My initial vision for this GB was old vs. new , but new vs new, old vs old,  is fine

It sounds like  neat idea,  I checked and didn't realize how many kits I have that meet the criteria, so it's an incentive to build a couple

Eduard and Revell F-15E

Old Monogram and Promodeler Helldiver

Accurate Miniatures and Monogram Avenger

Eduard and Hasegawa P-39

Hasegawa and Amtech P-40E

Hasegawa and Eduard Spitfire

Tamiya and Monogram Skyraider

Monogram and Accurate Miniatures B-25

Hobbycraft and Classic Airframes MS406

Tamiya and Accurate Miniature P-51

Academy, Hasegawa, and Monogram P-38

I just grabbed an AFV Club F-5E for a song at the Reno contest this weekend. I'll start with that, coupled with Monogram's F-5F..both as Navy adversaries. Then on to Revell's F-15E and GWH's F-15C.  Maybe if there's time, I'll do the Testors OV-10A and Academy's 1/72 OV-10D

Not sure if this is an aircraft only GB, but perhaps if you opened it up to all subject areas you might get the last few votes.

For example, a car builder has many options open to them to compare kits:

-Monogram/Revell Porsche 911 vs. Tamiya Porsche 911 vs. Fujimi/Italeri Porsche 911.

-Revell Ford GT (see signature) vs. Tamiya Ford GT vs. Revell's Snap Ford GT.

There are MANY other direct car comparisons in the same scale from different manufacturers.

Sci-Fi:

-Revell XWing vs. Band Ai XWing vs. Finemolds vs...

-Revell Millennium Falcon vs. Band Ai Millennium Falcon vs. Finemolds vs...

There are many other examples.

Armor:

-Italeri Sherman vs. Tamiya Sherman vs. Monogram Sherman.

-Old Tamiya Tiger (either I or II)  vs. New Tamiya Tiger (either I or II) vs. Zvezda vs. Revell vs...

-New Revell Leopard I vs. Old Tamiya Leopard I.

There are many other examples.

Ships I am sure could be compared, especially if different scales are used.

Anyways, just throwing out ideas if it helps you guys out. But if you want to keep it aircraft only that's totally cool.

Good luck and happy modeling!

Automotive models opens some interesting options.  It would need to be the same generation of the car, but does not have to be the same year. 

So for example... 

1969 and 1978 corvette OK (both C3)

1957 and 2004 Corvette (not OK C1 and C5)

I think every manufacturer made a Lamborghini Countach kit, like Don said, there are many Porsche 911s,  and  the Nissan Skyline is another popular subject. 

Armour is not my area of expertise,  but I have noticed a lot of new manufacturers in the past few years and it looks like they are revisiting subjects with new, more detailed kits.  Good opportunity to compare kits.

Ships would need to be either the same ship, or the same class of ship to ensure a good comparison ... 

so something like the USS New Jersey and the USS Iowa (same class of ship) even if they are different fits of the same ship, like the WWII and modern version of the Iowa class. make sense?

Any way, I am also acquiring kits for a modern mustang massacre,  So far Eduard Vs. Hasegawa .. I have an Accurate Miniatures Mustang, but it is an Allison engined variant and I am not sure if the Allison mustang is a good comparison to the -D 🤔

Edited by Kurt H.

Man I wish I could vote for this twice!

Here's what I've got so far, all 1/72 scale:

Monogram vs. Revell P-36s

Academy vs. Airfix early P-40B/Cs

Academy vs. Hasegawa P-40Es

Academy vs. Hawk T-6 Texans

Academy vs. Airfix F-86s

I could also add Matchbox vs. Monogram F4B biplanes.

I won't get to all of them, but I'd really like to build the P-36s, P-40B/Cs and Texans.

Bri2k