Group Build Poll: The Showdown

Will You participate in the Showdown GB ?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Will You participate in the Showdown GB ?

• Yes
    • neat idea, but not for me

38 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

I went to PennConn today, a model show in Gettysburg, PA presented by the Central Pennsylvania  IPMS. I found a sealed 1/48 Tamiya P-51B for a very fair price.  I think a melee with a Monogram P-51B would be interesting. I have a white box issue of the Monogram P-51B that has almost no flash. I foresee a vaillant battle to the end.

Any other recent acquisitions which could lead to a showdown?

If this is a year long GB, I may go with something more ambitious.  With today's announcement from HKM I am not thinking about a B-17 showdown with the new 1/48 kit and the classic Monogram.  

2 hours ago, nspreitler said:

If this is a year long GB, I may go with something more ambitious.  With today's announcement from HKM I am not thinking about a B-17 showdown with the new 1/48 kit and the classic Monogram.  

Now this will be good ... a flying fortress fracas

I have 3 showdowns  in mind, and maybe a fourth.  RF-101s, p-51Ds and p-51Bs. Maybe 1/72 spitfires too. 

25 minutes ago, RKic said:

Fantastic idea!

Would you allow crossing scale boundaries? I'm thinking Monogram's ancient 1/48 Kingfisher vs. Kittyhawk 1/32 Kingfisher

Yes, different scales are OK, just as long as it is the same subject.  In some cases it may be the only way to have a showdown.  

24 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

Yes, different scales are OK, just as long as it is the same subject.  In some cases it may be the only way to have a showdown.  

A'ight then. A Kickin' Stabbin' Kingfisher Kerfuffle, there shall be! :) 

13 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Wow! This should open a few more doors for potential projects!

I'm thinking of doing non-aircraft builds (*shock horror*... LOL). I know cars aren't big around here so other members interest levels probably won't be that high, but I have a rather extensive Corvette collection that needs to be whittled away (oddly enough, I never thought I was a Corvette kinda guy :dontknow:). Anyways, I am thinking of a Revell  Corvette C5R being compared to a Revell Corvette C7R. In addition, my 10 year old son (whose not an ARC member but a massive supercar and auto racing fan) is interested in comparing the AMT 2012 Corvette Showroom Edition with the Revell  2014 Corvette SnapTite Stingray. If he does join (and if he's allowed to) he will probably just post under my account. It would also mean four Corvette kits would in essence be compared.

Happy Modeling all!

O.k then my idea wouldn't work. I was going to compare the racing body changes of the C5R and C7R found in the Revell kits but they are different generations. I also don't think my sons idea will work either. He was going to compare the differences between the simpler SnapTite 2012 Corvette kit and the slightly more advanced yet still entry level 2014 Stingray kit. Again, different generations with one a C6 and the other a C7.

Oh well. I may come up with something else.

Happy modeling!

EDIT: Spelling.

Edited by Don
1 hour ago, Kurt H. said:

I have reached out to SBARC.

Its too bad how group builds have turned into the red-headed stepchild on this site. They used to be so much fun before the mass exodus to the FB page. 

Which is not Steve's fault or his problem. Its kind of on all of us. 

Edited by RKic
45 minutes ago, RKic said:

Its too bad how group builds have turned into the red-headed stepchild on this site. They used to be so much fun before the mass exodus to the FB page. 

Which is not Steve's fault or his problem. Its kind of on all of us. 

I just reached out so he can set it up since he has the admin rights to do so. 

Is the FB page really active? I saw it but i do not like public groups, I prefer closed groups.   I like forums better because of the threaded format, especially for a long build.   

18 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

I just reached out so he can set it up since he has the admin rights to do so. 

Is the FB page really active? I saw it but i do not like public groups, I prefer closed groups.   I like forums better because of the threaded format, especially for a long build.   

FB groups have their place - but like you, I prefer the threaded and more elegantly archived nature of forums. 

The ARC FB is fairly active in the sense that you get a bunch of people posting builds and others responding with "likes".  There's conversation too. Sometimes entertaining, like when some toxic man-child threatened to beat somebody up because the other guy didn't think like Eduard kits as much as he did, or something idiotic like that. 😄

I miss the days of when this forum was buzzing with activity. 

Just checked out the FB page, the deeper I dig into older posts, the slower it loads, to the point of being a bit irritating. Also, it just doesn't have enough content to make me want to spend more than 10 minutes on it, but thats just my feeble opinion.