Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Sign in to follow this  
jonwinn

F-16A-15 color question

Recommended Posts

I am currently building an F-16A-15 from the Florida Makos AFRES in the late 80s. I think the camo scheme is

the Hill Scheme, 36118 for top of rear fuselage, wing tops and stab tops, 36270 for bottom of everything and

tail, forward fuselage,  36320 for nose cone. Does this sound right for the image below? Thanks jon

keBpBEP.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, except the radome.  It doesn't have an FS number.  Use the "that looks about right" method.  

 

Jake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jmel said:

Yes, except the radome.  It doesn't have an FS number.  Use the "that looks about right" method.  

 

Jake

 

There you go, two F-16 experts helping you here.  Jake is a well known F-16 expert and I'm an editor over on F-16.net.  Can confirm you and Jake are correct.  Not really a 1980's jet here.   This photos was taken after 1992 and aircraft arrived in Florida late 1989.  The photographer is a friend of mine, Mike Kopack Sr.  He might know the date the photo was taken.  Mike used to be a prolific photographer and model builder, but he's likely not on this forum.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the answers. I live in Pinellas  County Fl and had these decals so I thought I'd do a local

plane. Maybe an old Warthog someday. jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jonathan S said:

 

There you go, two F-16 experts helping you here.  Jake is a well known F-16 expert and I'm an editor over on F-16.net.  Can confirm you and Jake are correct.  Not really a 1980's jet here.   This photos was taken after 1992 and aircraft arrived in Florida late 1989.  The photographer is a friend of mine, Mike Kopack Sr.  He might know the date the photo was taken.  Mike used to be a prolific photographer and model builder, but he's likely not on this forum.

 

I'm definitely no F-16 expert, but to me this one looks like it was painted in the simplified scheme that used just two of the original three colors. It's especially the front fuselage that screams this to me.

 

Rob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is the simplified scheme, the radome isn't actually a color. The only 2 real colors

are the bottom and the top, 36270 and 36118. I believe it's called the simplified Hill

scheme, but don't quote me on that. jon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/26/2019 at 10:32 AM, jonwinn said:

It is the simplified scheme, the radome isn't actually a color. The only 2 real colors

are the bottom and the top, 36270 and 36118. I believe it's called the simplified Hill

scheme, but don't quote me on that. jon

That's interesting, I don't think I've seen an F-16A in the two-color scheme. They went to the F-16C in 1995, so I'm surprised the new repaint was being done before that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/28/2019 at 1:27 AM, Camus272 said:

That's interesting, I don't think I've seen an F-16A in the two-color scheme. They went to the F-16C in 1995, so I'm surprised the new repaint was being done before that.

Among the very first jets to receive the new style paint was a Block 10 way back in 1991.

 

Jake

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...