WHY!????? Why oh why oh why do they insist on making X-wing fighter type special effects for WWII flight scenes?!??? what could be a great movie looks like it's going to be messed up because some yahoo decided that real WWII airplanes flying aren't exciting enough so let's CGI the heck out of them and have them do things faster and lower and more compact than anything that ever really happened. I hope I'm wrong but this trailer looks like it's just a continuation of the really bad Pearl Harbor. Maybe slightly better, but still way too "special" effected.

I had such hopes. This coulda' been a contender. It coulda' been something.

Bill

Like Bill wrote above, it reminds me of "Pearl Harbor" without Ben Affleck (but at least it had Kate Beckinsale...). Very Star Wars like too...

Image result for X-Wing gif

I'll wait and see but I'm not particularly fond of what I saw in that trailer. 

Don

4 hours ago, niart17 said:

WHY!????? Why oh why oh why do they insist on making X-wing fighter type special effects for WWII flight scenes?!???

The foundational reason is because the nation's culture has decided that sensation enriches their lives and experiences more than information would or could.
Then the producers of sensation further the thing by saying, Hey they want sensation? We'll give them double!

And then the system, the society, become acclimatized to that level of sensation & a sensation level which earlier increased their adrenaline, their blood pressure, their euphoria, becomes, "Eh, whatever, yawn."
So the producers of sensation amp it up.
And then multiple producers of sensation have amped it up & now they all look the same.
So a producer of sensation amp it up again so they will be noticed in the economy of limited attention.

Edited by southwestforests

But what they fail to realize is that sensational can be accomplished through many other means. Like I don't know, maybe actual good script and story lines, good acting. Exciting camera work but still maintaining realism. When I saw from the director that brought you "Independence Day" I KNEW it wasn't going to be a good sign. I mean look at the flying in Dunkirk. Very well done, very realistic and very exciting. Not sure how well it did box office-wise but if it didn't do so well I suspect some of that was the hard to get used to artistic timeline distortion the director chose. I think from all other aspects it was a great film. Why can't something with this kind of care to realism be created when it comes to important U.S. history such as the battle of Midway? Color me disappointed with what I'm seeing so far. I'll watch it, but likely wait for it to be on TNT in a few months after release. Should be  good Sat. double feature with Pearl Harbor. LOL

Bill

Dunkirk actually did pretty well, grossing over $500M:

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/dunkirk-christopher-nolan-box-office-1202559503/

I have only seen one movie from Roland Emmerich that I thought was any good, and that was the original Stargate.

I think that CGI can be used in a way that would still serve a serious movie well, they just keep deciding to make it Star Wars when they do it.

4 minutes ago, niart17 said:

But what they fail to realize is that sensational can be accomplished through many other means.

Question is, how many of those other means demand an attention span of longer than 3.3 seconds, and/or the application of deductive reasoning abilities?

1 hour ago, southwestforests said:

The foundational reason is because the nation's culture has decided that sensation enriches their lives and experiences more than information would or could.

That's pretty much how I remember the 60s....  :beer4:

Hm, the CGI looked somewhat cheesy,  I mean as in the realism of the rendering, not the action itself. Perhaps I just more readily accept it in mainstream SciFi? :dontknow:

IMHO, the best SciFi movie of all time is Arrival. It's quite amazing when you pay attention to the detail. Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a Star Wars shoot-em-up. 

There was more Pearl Harbor footage in the trailer than Midway scenes.  Odd way of promoting the film.  "We're going to focus on the failure of Pearl Harbor, the devastation of Pearl Harbor, the storylines of Pearl Harbor, the characters at Pearl Harbor, and oh yeah, that battle thing at the end."  Hollywood. 

Rick L.

Exactly what I thought. I mean I could see maybe starting a little with Pearl to give a time reference. Then maybe focus on Coral Sea a little to show the problems the carriers encountered. But overall it should be about the CARRIER battle of Midway. I know that the 70's version was cheesy and hokey in many ways and wouldn't hold a modern audience. But it did focus on the chess match-like battle. Maybe this movie does it more than the trailer shows and hopefully all that CG bang bang boom crap is there to get interest flowing. But I still see "Independence Day" in Dauntless-es when I watch it.

On 8/26/2019 at 3:57 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

Dunkirk actually did pretty well, grossing over $500M:

https://variety.com/2017/film/news/dunkirk-christopher-nolan-box-office-1202559503/

I have only seen one movie from Roland Emmerich that I thought was any good, and that was the original Stargate.

I think that CGI can be used in a way that would still serve a serious movie well, they just keep deciding to make it Star Wars when they do it.

And Dunkirk will make more money in the end. Watch.  They tried this with Lucas's failed Tuskeegee Airmen movie, which tanked. 

Oh well. One day theyre going to beat that WWII horse, and no glue will come out. 

I had seen the Dauntless trailer before I heard of the Midway movie, and when a friend told me about Midway, I thought he meant Dauntless, especially the way he described it having cheesy CGI planes.  Then I realized there were two different Midway movies with cheesy CGI plane animations.

I downloaded the movie this afternoon, watching it now. Dauntless.The.Battle.Of.Midway.2019

Quite good opening scenes already! One Really should do a new version of Hunt for the Bismarck!

Well, guess the Midway 2019 is another movie?

Dauntless.The.Battle.Of.Midway.2019

= only interesting the first 15 minutes.

Edited by cag_200
13 hours ago, Ken Cartwright said:

I had seen the Dauntless trailer before I heard of the Midway movie, and when a friend told me about Midway, I thought he meant Dauntless, especially the way he described it having cheesy CGI planes.  Then I realized there were two different Midway movies with cheesy CGI plane animations.

😎

An example of what can be done when the folks involved know something about flight physics: