Any Info on Minicraft 1/144 E-6 Mercury?

Scalemates and even Squadron are showing this as kit #14702 but I don't see it in Minicrafts online catalog and there are no online reviews of the kit.   Squadron shows it as a special order.   Yes, I'm aware that Minicraft announces releases of potential kits and then either cancels or delays release date, was just curious if anyone might have the dope on this kit.   Was it a planned release that fizzled or is it still in the pipeline?   I'm still in the process of converting one of their E-3's to an E-6.    Here's the link to Scalemates  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/minicraft-model-kits-14702-e-6-mercury-usn--310144

Have you thought about emailing Minicraft themselves Don?

models@minicraftmodels.com

They are pretty quick to respond, I had a E-3 kit that came with a C-97 windscreen piece and I contacted them to get a replacement not long ago. They came back in a couple of days and I now have the correct clear part.

Here's my rendition of an E-6A using the Revell E-3A kit.  I built it circa 1987 when it first entered service.  I didn't bother with the wingtip aerials, but did add the ventral drogue chute.  Nevermind that it is the completely wrong version fo the 707 to start with.  I am pretty sure I used Walthers pressure sensitive numerals and NAVY lettering, but used the kits doors and emergency stencils.  Engines are the very hard plastic CFM-56 first release from ATP/Airliners America.  Extremely hard to work with and much difficulty getting the fan disks to seat deep enough into the nacelles.  The kit is long gone now, but it may be time for a better more accurate one.  So I too will be looking forward to the Minicraft release.     

002.jpg

Edited by Dutch
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 6:53 AM, Dutch said:

Don, Contrails offers set CM44-E6-TIPS to convert any Minicraft 707-320 into an E-6, although you will have to source CFM-56 engines separately, coincidentally which they also offer as CM44-E3-CFM. $15 & $25 respectively,  so you may be better off waiting for the Minicraft kit. HTH, Dutch

Dutchmaster.   I already have a couple of the Contrails E-6 sets and am using one for my current build.   Plan to use a set of CFM-56's from their KC-135R kit since pylons seem to be more accurate for the 707 type aircraft.   Was hoping Minicraft would release this kit so I could get a good source for decals.

Edited by Drifterdon
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:39 PM, Trojan Thunder said:

Have you thought about emailing Minicraft themselves Don?

They are pretty quick to respond, I had a E-3 kit that came with a C-97 windscreen piece and I contacted them to get a replacement not long ago. They came back in a couple of days and I now have the correct clear part.

Ray, Just tried to email Minicraft and the address was rejected so not sure what to do other than press on with the current build.   Maybe if I finish it, Murphy's Modelling Law will kick in and Minicraft will release the kit.

Don,

This is straight from their contact page.  Try it again.  Or try calling the first phone number!

Minicraft USA LLC                                                                                       

2136 12th Street #104 Rockford, IL. 61104  USA
1-847-429-9676

Export Sales

International Hobbycraft Company Inc.

613 Landwehr Rd. Northbrook IL. 60062
1-847-564-9945

www.hobby-exporter.com

exports@hobbyexporter.com

Edited by Dutch
6 hours ago, Dutch said:

Don,

This is straight from their contact page.  Try it again.  Or try calling the first phone number!

I just took another look at the email rejection message and their mailbox is full!

Edited by Drifterdon

So for anyone interested, I did finally get a reply from the folks at Minicraft.   They will not be producing the E-6 Mercury kit.   In their words, "Not enough interest".   Looks like I'll be pressing on with the conversion and cobbling together decals from various sources.  

That's the spirit Don!  And as soon as you apply the last decal and glue on the last aerial, Minicraft will release their E-6B kit!  Go ahead, take one for the team!  No really, i wish you all the best with this conversion.  Can't wait to see the results.  Let me know what specific markings you're after, I may be able to help.  R/ Dutch