Using Vallejo Model Air acrylics advice

Hi all,

I used Tamiya acrylics pretty exclusively up until I saw a YouTube vid of a guy using Vallejo Model Air on his Tamiya Tomcat. Sooo, decided to give them a try. I got several different colors and decided to spray a test model to see how they did. Apparently I’m doing something wrong. I usually spray at 15 psi but research said you could shoot them directly from the bottle. I wasn’t too impressed. The paint came out pretty thick. Anyone have suggestions? I bought some Vallejo thinner but wanted some advice on a thinning ratio. Am I too high in pressure? I too have a Tamiya kitty in-process and I’d like to make sure I don’t Bork it with all my new paint. 

As always- many thanks for the enlightenment!

’burner

Hi Burner,

I just converted to Vallejo too.  I don't measure but I thin approx. 80/20 paint to thinner.  I find that they spray nicely and dry quickly.  Not the most durable paint, scratches easily, but resists my finger prints so far.  I spray between 18 and 25 psi.  I agree, I would never spray straight from the bottle.  I just painted my first kits with them and I am pleased so far.  I used model master enamels for decades, but since I do my modelling indoors I decided to switch to something less aromatic.  Good luck with tomcat. 

Geoff M

7 hours ago, Geoff M said:

Hi Burner,

I just converted to Vallejo too.  I don't measure but I thin approx. 80/20 paint to thinner.  I find that they spray nicely and dry quickly.  Not the most durable paint, scratches easily, but resists my finger prints so far.  I spray between 18 and 25 psi.  I agree, I would never spray straight from the bottle.  I just painted my first kits with them and I am pleased so far.  I used model master enamels for decades, but since I do my modelling indoors I decided to switch to something less aromatic.  Good luck with tomcat. 

Geoff M

Thanks dude! Now that I got that sorted out the fun can continue. There is a nice benefit to using them and the ease of cleanup. 

• 5 weeks later...