First Tornado Build... Questions!

I'm gonna build a Tonka...I wanted to do a Revell 1/48 kit but couldn't find a GR.4 anywhere so I just snatched up a 1/72 Hasegawa GR.1. that I'll do up as an Op Granby bird...Mig Eater, maybe.  I don't know anything about Tornados but Ive started reading some old posts. So my questions:

If I were to add a resin wing flaps/slats set, which is better: Airwaves or DB Productions?

Some pics I've seen show Hindenburg tanks a much lighter shade of tan than the overall Desert Pink. What color should I use?

Wheel wheels/landing gear struts are light grey--which shade of light grey?

What shade of grey for the intakes?

Thanks ahead of time from this RAF rookie. I want to do this up right!

Hi,

I could be totally wrong, but I think that the wing/flaps set is the same. A case of DB productions ceasing to exist and the moulds being taken over by Airwaves.

The Hindenburg tanks came from the F3's and I believe that during Granby they stayed the same colour as the underside of a Tornado F3: a light grey, not a tan. Some may have received a camo coat later on, but I doubt that happened before the ceasefire.

The intakes may not be a simple affair, I seem to remember they received black RAM paint at RAF St-Athan before combat. I have no idea if that's the entire intake or a distinct patern as on the F-111.

Cheers, Stefan.

Your Hindenburg tanks should be painted Barley grey BS 626 (rough equiv of FS 36314) (I think called camouflage grey now) they were taken from F3 Tornadoes. However, I have seen a pic of these tanks painted in the same overall colour as the Granby GR1's desert sand, (Humbrol 250 or roughly FS30279)but the vast majority were not repainted.

Wheel struts & bays are a very pale grey (try FS 36622?)see in walkround below...……..

Intakes are a bit more complicated, the black ram paint is only around the edges & the fuselage colour extends in so far then reverts to again the very pale grey by the looks of the walkround below...…….

Plenty of pics to scroll through...……..

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/71270-panavia-tornado-gr1-gr4/

Edited by barkin mad

The large fuel tanks were borrowed from the Tornado F3 fleet, and were originally in the appropriate colour for that aircraft. Later some were painted in a locally sourced sand colour known as Leyland blush. This was applied by hand with paint brushes. The story is explained in this link on the last post.

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234986312-best-172-tornado-gr1-fuel-tank-query/&tab=comments#comment-2095012

Also many a picture can be found at this web site:- dstorm.eu. The best place is in the nose art area.

Hope that this is of some help.

18 hours ago, picknpluck said:

Thanks guys! I've definitely got some stuff to chew on...

I suggest you also take a look at this resource...   https://www.tornadosig.com/

Check out "Modelling the Tornado" and "About the Tornado". They have a link to the forum and their Facebook page discussion area. The forum has some discussions/information but the discussions have moved to their Facebook page. You don't have to be an IPMS member to participate.

John

2 hours ago, jm190 said:

I suggest you also take a look at this resource...   https://www.tornadosig.com/

Check out "Modelling the Tornado" and "About the Tornado". They have a link to the forum and their Facebook page discussion area. The forum has some discussions/information but the discussions have moved to their Facebook page. You don't have to be an IPMS member to participate.

John

Awesome! Just joined the SIG Facebook page.