Looking for F-105D drawings

Hi,

I am looking for some - accurate - drawings of the F-105D because I am considering a Thunderchief as my next jet aircraft 1:48 project. Of the many web available drawing I have no idea of which one I can trust.

I do know that almost no drawings is perfect, but some are better than others. I just need drawings shapewise proportionally correct.

While ago, I got the excellent forward fuselage correction set released by DMolds, but I know that rear fuselage, tail, and wings need at least some cutting and trimming.

Accurate drawings would allow me to assess the required corrections.

Best,

c

Edited by Lucio Martino

I wasn't aware that the nose was incorrect let alone there being a correction set for it. As far as I know if you mount the nose as low as possible and just putty the top of it to blend it in, this makes the proper profile. 

I think the Monogram nose is fine. Years ago, some friends and I stood next to a real one and compared a built Thud kit to it (details in the link below). The problem with the appearance of the nose is due to the poor fit of the radome and the clunky shape of the pitot tube part. Do a little work blending the radome into the fuselage first. Then extend the radome enough so a Master Details pitot tube will fit. 

Here’s my attempt at the kit. I ‘be never been completely happy with the way I blended the pitot tube to the radome, but it’s still an improvement:

LINK

Edit: I’ve never heard that the Monogram kit needs reshaping in the wings or aft fuselage area. The Trumpeter kit certainly has a lot of shape issues there. Perhaps you’re thinking of that kit? There are a few small items on the Monogram F-105D that are left over from the F-105G kit, but those can be fixed with a little sanding. 

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

30 years ago Yukio Suzuki produced a superb set of 1/72 scale technical illustrations for Bunrin-Do's Famous Airplanes of the World feature on the Thunderchief (Number 4 in the series). The 5 view drawings, which depict a late F-105D, are very detailed and seem to accurately capture the subtle ogival radome profile alluded to above.

Here’s a look at the book’s cover...

S0dUsXA.png

hope this helps,

Rich

Edited by RichB63
On 8/31/2019 at 3:39 AM, Lucio Martino said:

Shapewise, the old 1:48 Monogram/Revell kit is way more accurate that the newer Hobby Boss.

You may want to seriously relook at whatever lead you to that conclusion.

The upper spine on the Monogram kit is horrendously out of shape.

The 105 had a significant Omega shape to not only its canopy but also the windscreen and Hobbyboss even though itself not correct is a better shaped spine which directly leads to the canopy shape.

Ive spent as much time as i can be bothered on comparing both these kits to reality and the HB kit while certainly not perfect is to me better shaped.

Both have issues, both if built OOB end up looking like Thuds but we seriously need someone to do a new F-105 with a slide molded canopy and windscreen to get the shape right. This directly impacts the entire upper fuselage.

The HB kit has more curve on the canopy and a better sized windscreen meaning not only is the Monogram kits nose out but its entire upper fuse/canopy/windscreen is out as well.

HB is a bit better with more vertical sides, its nose is more accurate and so is its spine but really both need work if you want to get a great looking 105.

That omega plays a huge part in the look of the Thud as in influences the entire fuselage but that canopy/windshield is missing from every kit released in 48th.

I took this at Pima a few years ago it shows it clearly.

IMG_9494-X3.jpg

Neither is great but HB shape wise is better. Im no fn of the heavy panel lines and rivet work though..

we really need a good F-105...

Edited by dehowie

Hmm, I'm not sure how to describe it but, to me, the Revell/Monogram kit has more "Thud" to it than the HB one.  Can't quite put my finger on why, but it's a lot like the old Monogram F-4C Phantom. Though outclassed by today's kits ( ZM, Hase & Academy), the old Monogram kit seems to have "more Phantom" to it than the others ( certainly for the C model). It just feels right.

Regarding the HB F-105 windscreen, according to this build:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/scalemodels/aviation/Hobby-Boss-1-48-F-105D-Thunderchief.php

it would seem that a pilot figure would not be able to see through the windscreen because the instrument panel and glare shield are so high.  The builder has also pointed out other inaccuracies. 

Dear RichB63, Jbryan911, Finn, JackMan, and Dehowie,

Let me thank you all for your great help. Now, I have enough documentation to check the accuracy of the old 1/48 Monogram Thunderchief. More from me on that on a future thread.

Again, thank you all.

Lucio

P.S.: Given dehowie comments, I edited my first post deleting any mention of the Hobby Boss kit.