Zactomodels 1/32 F-14 turtleback and radome corrections (TRU)

On 8/31/2019 at 10:24 AM, Alpagueur said:

any hopes?

No, at least not on the turtleback.

I wouldn't consider this a good aftermarket item. Cutting the kit and integrating a resin replacement part would be just as much work for the modeler as fixing it himself.
Here's how I'd do it (apologies for the lousy phone pics...):

Extend the existing intersection line with some thick tape (I'm using 3M vinyl fine line masking tape). Use a sharp edged file and cut a shallow groove.

Turtle_1_zpssdyebscc.jpg

Don't cut  too deep and stop shy of the end point.

Turtle_2_zpscb6itnad.jpg

Use a flat file and remove material from one side of the masked area, rounding the surface and being careful not to cut beyond the tape "barrier".

Turtle_3_zpssk4s8thn.jpg

Use sandpaper to clean up the surface.

Turtle_4_zpsnmwshtiv.jpg

Reverse the tape and repeat, filing away material (not shown) and sanding to clean up.

Turtle_5_zps18h5l30h.jpg

Remove the tape and massage the surfaces with fine sandpaper.

Turtle_6_zpsusuqhlfi.jpg

Repeat for the other side...

Turtle_7_zpswexzxhyv.jpg

See how things look under a coat of primer. I don't think any putty will be necessary (unless you go too far with filing or sanding).

:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 7:03 AM, riffer said:

I have to admit that the biggest disappointment upon reentering the hobby after 25+ years is that I still couldn't buy an accurate 1/32 Tomcat.

I'm working on it, little by little...

The kit does have some problems, but with a little aftermarket and a lot of love it builds into an impressive model.

:cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

It sure is a nice kit but the flaws are just on so obvious places and simply hard to correct.

There also so many subtle flaws mostly visible only to those fanatic about the F-14 but they still are bothersome.

If you carefully check the placement of the tailfins you'll notice that they are set too far back by about 5mm.

The casual modeller won't even remotely bother but I find it just irritating.

Still not sure how to correct that any other than cutting up the tailfins and reasamble them.