monogram me-109e landing gear angles

I'm looking for suggestions as to how to make this ancient kit's landing gear position look more like the real airplane's.  Apparently that's the great flaw in these models' being somewhat-acceptable shelf models.  And, no, the landing gear doesn't need to retract after the adjustments.  

Thanks!

I built it in 1968 or so. I was looking at redoing it once. I know the gear legs themselves are

too almost straight up and down. Also you need to bend the axle, Monogram has it almost

parallel with the legs center line. Google a 3 view and you'll see the odd angle. I was going to

get the leg at the right angle to my eye then glue it where it pivots in the wheel well. Then bend

the axle down a bit. If you can find a 1/48 scale 3 view you can measure the distances from

the bottom center line of the wheel to wheel and that will give you the correct landing gear

angle, as long as Monogram did the top positions right. Just remember that the axle is NOT 90

degrees to the gear legs center line up and down. jon

Edited by jonwinn

Thanks for the drawing.  It'll get used to set the gear angle off vertical on the lateral axis.  I think I can derive the fore-aft axle off photos.   I think...

I took a bunch of pictures of the EAA's Spanish Buchon when I did a lot of assembly on it when we turned it from a wall hanging into a floor exhibit in the Eagle Hangar.  Spent two weeks on that puzzle.  But none of the pictures were square images, and oblique doesn't work on this problem.

Edited by peter havriluk
more text

Yup I know where you are coming from. I was a fabricator for 40 plus years and dealt with all kinds

of prints and CADD images. Nothing really looked like the real deal in the flesh. Here is forward angle

of the leg.  jon

9irby8Y.jpg

Edited by jonwinn