List of kits by latest new tooling dates?

Hi All,

I know that Scalemates does a pretty good job of identifying the dates when model kits were 'new tooled', but is there another reference that does so in perhaps a more straightforward fashion?  I am looking to find the most recent (i.e., the kit that has the most recent new tooling date) 1/48 Mitsubishi Zero kit.  What I'm really looking for is the best 1/48 Zero kit.  I'm guessing that it is one of the 1/48 Tamiya kits, and i tried to reach for that, but didn't get a really clear answer.  Also, I know that recent tooling kits don't necessarily post to the 'best' kit, but it's at least one indicator to help in that regard.

So, in addition to my question about the best reference for new tooled 1/48 (or any scale, for that matter) kits, what's everyone's opinion about the best 1/48 Zero, regardless of specific version.   I've been given great advice about the best Bf-109s, Spitfires, etc.  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

The best Zero in 1/48 IMHO is the Tamiya A6M5 kit number 61103.  It is fairly new tool and a beautiful kit.  I’ve got two.   As to the other part of your question, I don’t know of a database that lists specific aircraft by tool dates from all the manufacturers on one page, but a little research on Scalemates should provide what you need.  

Steve

Remember that latest tooling and best kit of a subject are two very different things.

A good example of this is The F4U-1, where Tamiya’s kit is certainly the best in 1/48 even though the Hobby Boss kit is over 15 years newer.

Best just to ask what is the best kit of a given subject/variant

5 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

The best Zero in 1/48 IMHO is the Tamiya A6M5 kit number 61103.  It is fairly new tool and a beautiful kit.  I’ve got two.   As to the other part of your question, I don’t know of a database that lists specific aircraft by tool dates from all the manufacturers on one page, but a little research on Scalemates should provide what you need.  

Steve

Thanks, Steve.

2 hours ago, mawz said:

Remember that latest tooling and best kit of a subject are two very different things.

A good example of this is The F4U-1, where Tamiya’s kit is certainly the best in 1/48 even though the Hobby Boss kit is over 15 years newer.

Best just to ask what is the best kit of a given subject/variant

And...of course, you are correct!  I would say that knowing which kits are molded using the latest technology (one way to discover this is tooling date) is one way to help determine which kit to buy.  But you are right, a later tooling date does not imply the best tooling, or the best engineered kit.  

On 9/2/2019 at 9:36 AM, mawz said:

I don't see how any Hobby Booboo kit can be the "best" on the market, unless their kit is the ONLY one of the subject in question.

And even then, scratchbuilding one yourself would be better. :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

I recently built Tamiya's A6M3 #61108 . Like 61103 it is an EXCELLENT kit. Comes with wing tip folding parts and masking. Besides 1 seated pilot you get 4 standing ones which is a nice touch. From my point of view no aftermarket is needed. They are both recent releases with 61103 coming out in maybe 2009+/-.

Hobby Boss does make some clunkers. I have 5 started HB kits that well......:chain-gun: I will finish them one day but I have to be in the mood for a fight when I open them up. Then I have 2 HB that went together like a dream. The A1B Jet and FW190D9. The A team must have designed those 2...🤣

1 hour ago, viper730 said:

I recently built Tamiya's A6M3 #61108 . Like 61103 it is an EXCELLENT kit. Comes with wing tip folding parts and masking. Besides 1 seated pilot you get 4 standing ones which is a nice touch. From my point of view no aftermarket is needed. They are both recent releases with 61103 coming out in maybe 2009+/-.

Hobby Boss does make some clunkers. I have 5 started HB kits that well......:chain-gun: I will finish them one day but I have to be in the mood for a fight when I open them up. Then I have 2 HB that went together like a dream. The A1B Jet and FW190D9. The A team must have designed those 2...🤣

Thanks for your comments, Viper. I got a 61108 myself, and I’m glad that you and many others have good things to say about it.  Additionally, I have been debating about what kit to get for a 1/48 FW190D9. Perfect timing on your response!!  I’ve read that the Eduard kit for that plane is not particularly good, so if you think the HB version IS good, I’ll definitely consider getting that!

52 minutes ago, Curt B said:

if you think the HB version IS good, I’ll definitely consider getting that!

From a build standpoint it was great. I am not a big rivet counter. I'm in the camp if it looks like the subject then I'm fine with it. To me their 190D loos like a 190D...It's a relatively low parts count kit but has enough detail to satisfy most. 😁

18 minutes ago, viper730 said:

From a build standpoint it was great. I am not a big rivet counter. I'm in the camp if it looks like the subject then I'm fine with it. To me their 190D loos like a 190D...It's a relatively low parts count kit but has enough detail to satisfy most. 😁

I feel just the opposite, concerning Hobby Bogus & Trumpeter. They may fit together nicely, but their track record on accuracy is in the dirt. I would like my models to actually look like the subject matter they are supposed to represent, especially considering their high cost. Since people keep buying their junk, they have no incentive to improve their accuracy. :soapbox:

Larry