PBJ-1D additional waist gun positions.

No, they were not staggered, they were in the same position port and starboard and were both in pretty much the same position as the starboard waist gun on the B-25H/J - which is to say, forward, close to the wing root trailing edge.

Note also that the fairings above the windows themselves were larger than those on the B-25H/J.  They are basically identical to the fairings below the windows (which seem to be the same as those on the B-25H/J).

You may be right Lance, but there are photos of added guns not only in the radio compartment as you indicated,  but also in the window not far from the tail.  Remember  that the C and D had the dorsal and ventral turrets (or radar for the USMC) almost one over the other, so waist guns there across from each other would make it pretty cramped.

Hey Hem, where in Joisey are you?  I'm in Middlesex County along the Arthur Kill....

Hemspilot was asking about the depot-level mods, not the local "pull out a window and stick a gun in it" unit-level mods.

You are correct that having the guns directly across from each other, with the turret in between them, would have made things very cramped - which is probably why everything got moved around in the H/J models.

PBJ-1D MB 3 from both sides:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/b-25/pbj-1d-vmb-611-in-flight/

http://ewafield.blogspot.com/

(scroll down for the pic of MB 3)

And another PBJ-1D showing the starboard, forward window:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/b-25/pbj-vmb-612/

2 hours ago, scimitar said:

You are corrct Lance!  Thanks for posting those pics; the VMB 611 photo I've seen but didn't notice the depot fix. The VMB 612 photo I don't recall seeing.  Thanks again for sharing those.

I am in the process of converting an Airfix B-25C/D to one of the VMB-612 birds, as they appeared when first deployed and before they started dropping things to save weight and increase range for patrol purposes:

Top turret still in place

Side blisters with windows

Tail gun position

Gunpacks on both sides of the nose

HVAR stubs under the wings

Radar in the nose

Overall gloss sea blue with small national insignia

By the time that pic was taken, they had removed the top turret, pulled the glass out of the side blisters (and the guns as well, it seems), removed the aft half of the tail gunners's glazing (and left off the gun) and only had the gun packs on the port side of the forward fuselage.