Enamel paint recommendations?

20 hours ago, jonbryon said:

If you go with the Mr Color, thin to what you think it needs to be thinned to...and then thin it more! Be aware that if you get an older bottle it may be thick and gloopy (or even solid). Don't worry - it can be revived perfectly fine with Mr Color Leveling Thinners (MLT). I've got bottles that have been unused for 12 years - just add a lot of MLT, mix well and you're good to go. I also return unused thinned paint to the bottle without adverse effect. (Well, I've had no adverse effect since I first started using this paint in 2006.)

Jon

Gunze also sells a Mr Color Replenishing Agent, designed specifically for renewing old or even dried up paint. Yes, DRIED UP paint. It works wonderfully for restoring old thick, gloppy paint. I haven't used it on dry paint (don't have any), but nearly dry. Restored perfectly. Sprue Brothers sells it.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:19 AM, admiralcag said:

They have Canadian Voodoo Gray! I was stressing a bit about that for my TOS Enterprise. They also have naval colors. I will have to place an order.

Vern

What company is making a replacement for the model master line of the  enamels?

• 3 weeks later...

I know that you have already received a bunch of recommendations for lacquer rather than the enamel paints you were requesting, but I simply MUST jump in and recommend the Mr. Color Lacquer paints.  I am/ was a totally devoted Tamiya paint person, but just recently have started using the Mr. Color lacquers, and they are like magic!  I never wanted to deal with the smell and inconvenience of lacquer paints, but the incredible amount of thinning these paints take, and their thin application and how the paint lays down...all of those positives are worth the down sides.  Mr. Color also has an equivalent water based paint line (Mr. Hobby Aqueous) that pretty much includes the same colors, if that is of interest.  But you can’t beat the Mr. Color lacquers, in my humble opinion. 

Curt, thank you for your input.  It was not in vain.  Because I move at the same blazing speed as most turtles and some fungi, I have not placed any orders for paints just yet.  I am, however, convinced that I am going to give the Mr. Color Lacquers a try.  I've read and heard so many good things about them that I have simply GOT to check them out.

Thank you for the great info and insight!

Eric

1 hour ago, echolmberg said:

Curt, thank you for your input.  It was not in vain.  Because I move at the same blazing speed as most turtles and some fungi, I have not placed any orders for paints just yet.  I am, however, convinced that I am going to give the Mr. Color Lacquers a try.  I've read and heard so many good things about them that I have simply GOT to check them out.

Thank you for the great info and insight!

Eric

Eric,

If I helped aid in your decision, then I am pleased.  It is not quite as easy to get Mr. Color paints as it to get, say, Tamiya, but it's not all that difficult, either.

You can get them at HobbyWorld US, Sprue Brothers, my favorite on-line vendor, Scalehobbyist, which has good prices, and even Amazon if you don't mind getting gouged.  My favorite place, even if the price is a bit high, and it takes awhile, is from eBay, where you can get ALL the colors.  The others I mentioned can't get most of the C351 and above (number-wise), whereas you can get them all on eBay.  My favorite seller there is 'ladypapa' from China, of all the strange names, but reliable!  And since you're just starting out with these, I'd try some primary colors, like red and yellow, and of course, black and white, and some grays and greens that you'd use for camouflage.  And you MUST get the magical Mr. Color Leveling Thinner.  It is as good as you read about everywhere, and can be used on more than just Mr. Color paint, but allows you to thin at least 1:1, and even more thinner than paint, if you like.  And, as I'd mentioned previously, they have a line of Aqueous paints that pretty well match most of they colors, and they have their own brand of thinner for that line as well, and it works great, as well as the Leveling Thinner on the Aqueous paint, in my admittedly limited experience.  One other thing you should know.  My experience with these paints has been in the environment where I live, the hot dry desert of southern Nevada.  Not sure if a climate with more humidity or less heat would impact your results.

I'm not a shill for Mr. Hobby; I just think their products are fantastic!

Two more oddly-named, but reliable, Ebay dealers are jackrabbit9820 (https://www.ebay.com/str/thebasementmodelshop) in Ohio and animetropolis (http://www.ebaystores.com/animetropolis) in Taiwan.

My LHS carries Mr Color, so I always try them first. But, as Curt said, some colors are tough to get.

• 5 months later...