Tough but, easy decision

The overtree will not include decals, PE or instructions. There is no shortage of P-51D decals, you can download the instructions, and you will need to decide for yourself if the PE is worth it. 

That being said, the overtree is a bargain if you can accept the comprimise. 

14 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

The overtree will not include decals, PE or instructions. There is no shortage of P-51D decals, you can download the instructions, and you will need to decide for yourself if the PE is worth it. 

That being said, the overtree is a bargain if you can accept the comprimise. 

Thanks. I was going to get the overtree set, until I looked and they were already out of stock. 🤨 So, I went with the kit. 

I believe the kit is a 3000 pc limited edition so it may well be worth more in the future unbuilt. Eduard has announced several future boxings of these molds, much like their excellent MiG-21 series, so look for more variants and markings and possibly lower prices than the current L. E. release. 

8 minutes ago, habu2 said:

I believe the kit is a 3000 pc limited edition so it may well be worth more in the future unbuilt. Eduard has announced several future boxings of these molds, much like their excellent MiG-21 series, so look for more variants and markings and possibly lower prices than the current L. E. release. 

Wonder if they'll get around to releasing a Korean War F-51D?

1 minute ago, 11bee said:

Wonder if they'll get around to releasing a Korean War F-51D?

Hi,

Apart from the decals, everything you need for a Korean war F-51D is in the box (even rockets).

The latest news from the newsletter is that the Royal Class boxing (due out in December) will not have the F-6D parts (which were originally planned to be included), but there will be a new sprue with parts for the VLR Mustangs, including the 110 gallon metal tanks.

Cheers, Stefan;

7 minutes ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

Apart from the decals, everything you need for a Korean war F-51D is in the box (even rockets).

The latest news from the newsletter is that the Royal Class boxing (due out in December) will not have the F-6D parts (which were originally planned to be included), but there will be a new sprue with parts for the VLR Mustangs, including the 110 gallon metal tanks.

Cheers, Stefan;

I don't have access to the sprue shots but do you know if that includes the upgraded radio equip that was installed on top of the fuel cell and the added radiator cooling vents which were installed on the fuselage sides, directly above the belly scoop?

See below for a good picture of the radios and vents (and a great example of how filthy these aircraft got).

136289006-02bg5aqm-adsc_7314x.jpg?w=950

The Hyperscale review has sprue shots and a caption that say “three styles of radio, battery and IFF” 

http://www.hyperscale.com/2019/reviews/kits/eduard11134reviewbg_1.htm

Instructions on Eduard’s site:

https://www.eduard.com/out/media/11134.pdf

Instructions are also seen on the Hobbysearch website:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/m/image/10620816

Edited by habu2
26 minutes ago, 11bee said:

I don't have access to the sprue shots but do you know if that includes the upgraded radio equip that was installed on top of the fuel cell and the added radiator cooling vents which were installed on the fuselage sides, directly above the belly scoop?

See below for a good picture of the radios and vents (and a great example of how filthy these aircraft got).

Hi,

That's an interesting shot.

The DF loop is on the sprues as parts G8 (the base) and G9 (the actual loop) , I think.

I wasn't aware of those added cooling vents. Were these on all F-51's in Korea? This picture being of an RF-51, I wonder if that is something for the Recce models or a post-WW2 modification for  F-51's in general. 

The radio set-up behind the headrest in the picture is not in the P-51D box, I believe.

Cheers, Stefan.

1 hour ago, Stefan buysse said:

Hi,

That's an interesting shot.

The DF loop is on the sprues as parts G8 (the base) and G9 (the actual loop) , I think.

I wasn't aware of those added cooling vents. Were these on all F-51's in Korea? This picture being of an RF-51, I wonder if that is something for the Recce models or a post-WW2 modification for  F-51's in general. 

The radio set-up behind the headrest in the picture is not in the P-51D box, I believe.

Cheers, Stefan.

Hi Stefan,

I'm building a 32nd scale F-51D and the more I research this model, the more I find all sorts of variations.   With regard to those vents, they were seen on many (but certainly not all) RF/F-51D's.   To make things more involved, they came in 2-3 different configurations.  

4 hours ago, evilmedic13 said:

Thanks. I was going to get the overtree set, until I looked and they were already out of stock. 🤨 So, I went with the kit. 

The over trees sold out at Sprue Brothers pretty quick. I had a Chattanooga choo choo and 2 over trees in my cart, then had second thoughts. I wanted over trees to be able to build several of the decal options.  I went back a few hours later and the over trees were sold out. But I got my choo choo, so that is good. I was really disappointed when I missed out on the kit at the Nats.

Before the end of the year, Eduard has announced a Profi Pack, and a Royal class release. Lots of good info is in the Info Eduard for this month. 

3 hours ago, peter havriluk said:

What's an 'overtree set', what does it consist of, where available, and pricing?  

Thanks!

Hi, Peter.

The "Overtrees" sets are just the plastic sprues (without decals, instructions, PE or masks) sold in white boxes.

Where to get them kind of depends on your location. If you're in Europe, you could just order them from the Eduard site. For US customers, the shipping charges make ordering from Eduard a less attractive option.

The P-51D overtrees are still available from the Eduard site. As a BFC member, you could get one for 10.69 € plus shipping right now, if not a member it would be about 12.00 € plus shipping.  

Cheers, Stefan.

4 hours ago, 11bee said:

Hi Stefan,

I'm building a 32nd scale F-51D and the more I research this model, the more I find all sorts of variations.   With regard to those vents, they were seen on many (but certainly not all) RF/F-51D's.   To make things more involved, they came in 2-3 different configurations.  

Mmm, a well-researched 1/32 F-51D sounds nice.:thumbsup:

I'd guess that very few people on the planet are aware of these vents.

From looking at that RF-51D picture and from the fact that Eduard is going to make new fuselage halves for the fillet-less P-51D, I figure that they'll also make new fuselage halves for the F-6D that they have planned.

I have no idea if they'll do a Korean war boxing or if they'd make a new sprue for that one.

Edit: I found your in-progress thread. Awesome!

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 9:10 AM, 11bee said:

Is it just the picture of is this painted completely in aluminum dope????

Edited by goondman

I have been in contact with Eduard about the VLR Mustangs.....they have decided (as was noted above) to put at least one option for a VLR version in their Royal Class boxing due out in Dec.  I have been told they are planning either a limited edition or profipack set later sometime in 2020.  Also, for the VLR options, I was told they will be offering up both the 110 gallon and 165 gallon tanks, along with the sway braces for them, in both wood and metal.  I basically included it in every email........if you are doing the tanks, do the braces!! Looks like they got the hint 🙂

Now I'm just hoping to get them to do a paint scheme or two that I am pitching, esp for the 506th Fighter Group, which I am one of the historians for.  Be nice to see something not already done in decals before, but we'll see what they choose......

Edited by Waltz41
  • 1 month later...

I have been in contact with Eduard about the VLR Mustangs.....they have decided (as was noted above) to put at least one option for a VLR version in their Royal Class boxing due out in Dec.  I have been told they are planning either a limited edition or profipack set later sometime in 2020.  Also, for the VLR options, I was told they will be offering up both the 110 gallon and 165 gallon tanks, along with the sway braces for them, in both wood and metal.  I basically included it in every email........if you are doing the tanks, do the braces!! Looks like they got the hint 🙂

Now I'm just hoping to get them to do a paint scheme or two that I am pitching, esp for the 506th Fighter Group, which I am one of the historians for.  Be nice to see something not already done in decals before, but we'll see what they choose......

According to their leaflet

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/distributors/leaflet/leaflet2019-12.pdf

they included two 506th FG ships in Royal Class box

P-51D-20, My darlin/ Betty Ann, Little Ann, The Ole Lady, 44-72812, fLt. Ralph R. Coltman, 458th FS, 506th FG, 12th AF

and

P-51D-25, The Enchantress, 44-72671, 2nd Lt. William Saks, 457th FS, 506th FG, 12th AF