Mig-29SMT camo colors....I'm confused

Been trying to get the right camo paint colors for my 1/48 Mig-29SMT, I have the Akan set 47345 somewhere on this forum I recall that it was mentioned that this is the correct set....but comparing it with photos on the web of Red 27 the colors don't appear to be accurate. Can someone please help me get a good paint match before I do my color coats? thanks....I tried searching the forum but was unsuccessful...

thanks! 

Edited by KEB

Are you making the gray or green version?  Some of the greens were repainted with dark gray.

I know on my build (link below) I found FS36495 to be the best all over gray, AKAN 73145 (lightened) for the cockpit. I'll look around for the other paints I used, I think one or two of the greens were from the set you have but I might have modified them.

KrpEgsY.jpg

h754YQR.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047343-mig-29smt-148-gwh/&tab=comments#comment-3208256

Keb

If you are talking about the splinter camo scheme colors on the SMT then as Paul said there are two different schemes using different patterns and different colors. If the Red 27 you are building is #92939 then it is painted in the "gray" scheme as is  Red 09 in Pauls post; here is a link that show the difference in the two schemes.

https://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/USSR?product_id=379

As for paint, the link is from the Mr Paint web site and they carry the pints for both schemes.

Regards

Jim Barr

Edited by Jim Barr

From what I’ve seen, the SMTs painted in the standard Fulcrum grey/green scheme are different than the ones painted in the three color grey splinter scheme.  The grey/green SMTs seems to be sometimes called MiG-29SMT (R) and are newer (2015-2016) production that the older “splinter” SMTs.  Not sure if the grey/green SMTs are all new builds, conversions of the older SMTs, or a mixture.  The external differences that I’ve seen on the grey/green SMTs are a large boxy fairing on the sides of the rear fuselage under the tails, and extra small white domes facing rearward just above the rudders and facing forward under the outer wings (likely RWR or ECM gear).  Also, the grey/green SMTs seem to have blue code numbers while the older splinter SMTs have red codes.  If you are making a grey/green one, you’ll need to make sure it has the changes.

Grey/green SMT

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29SMT-9-19/5641013/L?qsp=eJwtjEEKwjAQRe8ya12oINid7ouCvcAw%2BdRgNWEyUEPp3R2Du8f7n7eQpLfhY0PNoI4KWOVBG8qs/CrULfREnZMGZ%2BrjuN2f7v3gh5LULtVlYMNZBNkQ/v6qAfqbUKS1Rm/vHKC3xnQ4ug%2Bx5IlbA8ZxonX9Aqy/L0Q%3D

Splinter SMT

https://www.airliners.net/photo/Russia-Air-Force/Mikoyan-Gurevich-MiG-29SMT-9-19/5136137/L?qsp=eJwtjEEKwjAQRe8ya12oINid7ouCvcAw%2BdRgNWEyUEPp3R2Du8f7n7eQpLfhY0PNoI4KWOVBG8qs/CrULfREnZMGZ%2BrjuN2f7v3gh5LULtVlYMNZBNkQ/v6qAfqbUKS1Rm/vHKC3xnQ4ug%2Bx5IlbA8ZxonX9Aqy/L0Q%3D

Edited by Dave Williams
8 hours ago, paulsbrown said:

Are you making the gray or green version?  Some of the greens were repainted with dark gray.

I know on my build (link below) I found FS36495 to be the best all over gray, AKAN 73145 (lightened) for the cockpit. I'll look around for the other paints I used, I think one or two of the greens were from the set you have but I might have modified them.

KrpEgsY.jpg

h754YQR.jpg

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235047343-mig-29smt-148-gwh/&tab=comments#comment-3208256

Thanks for the help....your painting skills are outstanding! if possible I would like a rundown on the colors you used, including landing gear and cockpit please, thanks!

4 hours ago, Jim Barr said:

Keb

If you are talking about the splinter camo scheme colors on the SMT then as Paul said there are two different schemes using different patterns and different colors. If the Red 27 you are building is #92929 then it is painted in the "gray" scheme as is  Red 09 in Pauls post; here is a link that show the difference in the two schemes.

https://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/USSR?product_id=379

As for paint, the link is from the Mr Paint web site and they carry the pints for both schemes.

Regards

Jim Barr

thanks! the bottom scheme is the colors I want to do...do you know what colors I need for that Aircraft?

1 hour ago, KEB said:

a rundown on the colors you used, including landing gear and cockpit please

FS 36495 Light Gray for the overall,  the light green I mixed and can't remember from what, the dark green is AKAN 73093 MiG-29 Grey-Green, cockpit was lightened AKAN 73145 Su-25 Cockpit from the end of 2000, gear is a mix I made for all my later Flankers, I think it was a Flanker light blue with some light gull gray added.

TBcm0Mh.jpg

32 minutes ago, paulsbrown said:

FS 36495 Light Gray for the overall,  the light green I mixed and can't remember from what, the dark green is AKAN 73093 MiG-29 Grey-Green, cockpit was lightened AKAN 73145 Su-25 Cockpit from the end of 2000, gear is a mix I made for all my later Flankers, I think it was a Flanker light blue with some light gull gray added.

TBcm0Mh.jpg

Thanks...that's a great help!

KEB

I have not found any reference numbers for the gray scheme, just generic names i.e. Light Gray etc. I was going to use the Mr Paint Colors and here is a link to their site that show the three colors need. I have used Mr Paint before and really liked the way it sprayed but be advised it is acrylic Lacquer which some do not like to use.

https://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/USSR?product_id=384

If you are doing Red 27 #92939 notice that the pattern and colors are the same as other gray schemes but the light and dark green gray colors are some times reversed.

Regards

Jim Barr

Just now, Jim Barr said:

KEB

I have not found any reference numbers for the gray scheme, just generic names i.e. Light Gray etc. I was going to use the Mr Paint Colors and here is a link to their site that show the three colors need. I have used Mr Paint before and really liked the way it sprayed but be advised it is acrylic Lacquer which some do not like to use.

https://mrpaint.sk/farby/lietadla/USSR?product_id=384

If you are doing Red 27 #92939 notice that the pattern and colors are the same as other gray schemes but the light and dark green gray colors are some times reversed.

Regards

Jim Barr

Thank you that's the scheme I want to do

Cross post from another forum: 🙂

A little bit history here:

SMKs were built following the Algerian order back in 2006 but it was cancelled in 2008 because Russians tried to sell planes which were built back in cold war days :) They were just upgraded to Mig-29SMT version. These aircraft then were brought by Russia and become part of RuAF.

So these planes have been painted three times in last 10 year. 

1) Algerian colors:

MIG-29_SMT_FC-14_3017_ARGELINO_1.jpg

2) 1st Russian colors: Green tones.

mig-29smt_06.jpg

apa_mig-29_smt_1024.jpg

3) Current Russian colors: More gray tones.

128009.jpg

So, I do not have AKAN colors but you be the judge they may have picked one of these color sets....

Enjoy!! :D