What to do in the Innsbruck-Munich area?

I'll go on holiday near Innsbruck (Austria) this month, and I'm planning to travel around a bit to visit museums and other interesting places. I expect to travel mostly north in the direction of Munich. So far I've identified:

- Deutsches Museum Flugwerft Schleissheim, close to Munich (150 km)

- BMW World, in Munich (150 km)

- Starfighter Museum in Niederalteich (300 km)

From the above you can see that my main interests are planes and cars 🙂 If you have any suggestions, please post them!

Rob

What a coincidence, I’ll be in Munich early Nov.   I had hoped to make it to Berchtesgaden and the nearby salt mine but don’t see any tours available (I won’t have a car this time).  Any info on whether their are any tours running in this time frame (or  if I can get there on public transportation) would be much appreciated! 

4 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Don't miss the Deutches Museum in Munich! 

That will be near impossible to get to for me, since I haven't arranged a stupid 'Umweltzone' sticker for my car..

Rob

Edited by Rob de Bie
2 hours ago, 11bee said:

What a coincidence, I’ll be in Munich early Nov.   I had hoped to make it to Berchtesgaden and the nearby salt mine but don’t see any tours available (I won’t have a car this time).  Any info on whether their are any tours running in this time frame (or  if I can get there on public transportation) would be much appreciated! 

I visited Berchtesgaden a couple of years ago. It an impressive facilty, especially the high-gradient bus ride and the elevator, and the sight at the top is awesome. But it was very, very busy in mid-summer. I came by car back then, but a quick search shows that there's a rail connection. Here's a start:

https://www.berchtesgaden.de/en/general-information/maps-local-transportation

Rob

31 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

That will be near impossible to get to for me, since I haven't arranged a stupid 'Umweltzone' sticker for my car..

Rob

Try getting as close as possible to the city with your car and then sneak in with public transportation! 😉

HAJO

41 minutes ago, Rob de Bie said:

Rob

If you can get to the BMW Museum, you can get to the Deutsches Museum via subway.

14 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

If you can get to the BMW Museum, you can get to the Deutsches Museum via subway.

If my information is correct, the BMW Museum is just outside the Umweltzone, so that could be a solution. Thanks! Thank Hajo too 🙂

Rob

In Munich I would visit the Hofbrauhaus, the beer and  food are good (but the service sucks). it is very touristy but worth a visit. There will be other nice  places to eat too. The Bavarian's do this thing with a pork hock/knuckle where they roast it over a rotisserie, it's magic.

My other recommendation is to just enjoy the countryside. Austria is beautiful.