Wile E Coyote is the squadron mascot but it appears you can get by without it. Just need grey WR tail codes.

Glad to see you around and building something other the ugly Apaches. 😃

Edited by Tank

😂👍 

Of course!  Actually the bird I’m building has Squadron patches and the unit and det painted on it.  I’ve got the BuNo covered with “Whiskeys In The Mix” and basic markings, but I need the Squadron insignia.  

In any case, here’s what happens when you get an AH-1F and AH-1W kit and some spare parts sitting around.  

19B546EB-6024-4466-B994-9950B531C335.jpeg

Yeah, your SOL on the squadron logo. I think at most Dave had 773 planned for reserve birds. Again old memories so I could be wrong, either way they are not on the street. I would build w/o and go with a newly transferred bird pre new squadron logo and have a new gray patch paint where the squadron logo would go. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Back in 2000 or 2001 while stationed with Mag46/HMLA-775 at Camp Pendleton I made up some 1/72 stencils using scalable vector graphics. It was for 1/72 scale UH-1N that we made as a trophy for the S-4 Chief who was retiring. I bought some clear, printable decal paper and even used the S-1 Printer to print out the labels. No way I was going to print them out in S-4 and let Gunny see what was going on. I remember getting busted when he came up to S-1 and was wondering what I was doing on the wrong side of the door. Good memories tho! He actually cried when we presented him the plaque.

Later on, the CC shop lost or destroyed their stencils. We scaled up my graphics to full size and cut them into stencil board. So the graphics I made became the actual stencils used for the next few years. I'll have to look around to find the files, but I'm sure that I have them. Are you still looking for these decals?

While there I also made graphics that were used to make one or two patch signs, and also designed a large "Now Leaving Coyote Country" that was placed near the gate.

Andy,

That’s outstanding. I would be interested if you can find the graphic to build a 775 bird. Small world, a few years earlier to your time their. I had helped to build the kspan only one at the time and the bbq area outside of Mag-39 HQ near the static display of the Cobra.

Semper Fi,

Ryan

I thought someone here might be interested in them. I did find the graphics. See the preview. I have them in a scaleable format as well as 1/12, 1/32, 1/72. I'm trying to decide the best way to release them. I don't mind releasing them as free to the community, I just wanted to make sure they don't get ripped off if you know what I mean. Ideas?

HMLA775.png.f5398092fb68e1b97d90bfeeeb637c53.png

26 minutes ago, Andy_T said:

Ryan,

They mention the K-Span in the MAG-39/MWSS-372 history here: 

https://www.3rdmaw.marines.mil/Units/MAG-39/MWSS-372/History/

👍 yep, they don’t mention the flood of 95 or 96 that covered the flightline. Pretty sure it was before the kspan. Birds where moved all over 22area based on the 93 experience. Stuck a Humvee up to the doors in mud on far end, away from the bridge. Fun times.

32 minutes ago, Andy_T said:

I thought someone here might be interested in them. I did find the graphics. See the preview. I have them in a scaleable format as well as 1/12, 1/32, 1/72. I'm trying to decide the best way to release them. I don't mind releasing them as free to the community, I just wanted to make sure they don't get ripped off if you know what I mean. Ideas?

HMLA775.png.f5398092fb68e1b97d90bfeeeb637c53.png

Unfortunately if posted online one has to expect it to happen at some point. Probably best to work with a small print shop to sell decals at scale. Maybe someone like Dennis at http://autoloader-decals.mozello.com , more of a print on demand service.

I would have the logo ready. But the one on the machine doesn't quite match the official logo of the squadron.
What else do you need? Identification etc.? Send me a private mail.

AH-1W HMLA-775.jpg

Edited by Lupusprimus