Revell 1/48 B-17F question

I have a bagged kit of Revell's 1/48 B-17F, that decided to start working on. What I want to know is if the Eduard Canopy Mask Set for the Monogram/Revell 1/48 B-17G (set EX106) will fit on the Revell 1/48 B-17F kit? I looked on Hannants, and I don't see ANY canopy mask sets listed specifically for the Revell 1/48 B-17F.

Larry

I am working on both kits at the moment, and in my very unscientific test, the masks for the G should work for the F. I can't guarantee all the small masks for the gun turrets will match perfectly (top turret, ball turret and waist glass are different on the two versions), but in the few masks I tested they fit really well.

4 hours ago, Brenhen said:

I am working on both kits at the moment, and in my very unscientific test, the masks for the G should work for the F. I can't guarantee all the small masks for the gun turrets will match perfectly (top turret, ball turret and waist glass are different on the two versions), but in the few masks I tested they fit really well.

Thanks for that info. I am mainly interested in the main cockpit clear part, I can probably handle the rest with Tamiya tape.

Larry

On 9/9/2019 at 9:17 PM, ReccePhreak said:

Interesting, that is exactly the opposite of what I was told on another forum. :hmmm:

The brief history of the Monogram G and the Revell F is that Revell copied most of Monogram’s G. Details are different in that the G has more interior details than the F.  However basic shape and dimensions are almost identical. That’s why I would assume the masks for the G will fit the F. The breakdown of the cockpit windows is slightly different though. 

On 9/10/2019 at 6:44 PM, ReccePhreak said:

Thanks for that info. I am mainly interested in the main cockpit clear part, I can probably handle the rest with Tamiya tape.

Larry

Those are probably the EASIEST parts to mask with plain Tamiya  tape - straight lines and flat panels.  Really, the only problem children mask-wise on the B-17 are the turrets and maybe the waist windows.  The rest are pretty simple

Most if it won’t fit as the G is not the F. Top turret, waist windows are completely different. Cockpit glass should in theory work, but I’ve never used masks so I don’t know. But the cockpit is the easiest to mask with tamiya tape. I’d personally save the money and just use tamiya tape for the whole kit.