ARC Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
HomeBe

1/48 - Ka-50 & -52 "Hokum", Mi-8/-17 "Hip", Mi-24/-35 "Hind" & Mi-28 "Havoc" announced by Kitty Hawk

Oh maaan, FINALLY! I have wanted everyone of those in quarter scale for so long! Please, please KH do these kits justice!

So I’m over at Kittyhawk’s Facebook page where I asked about a 1/35 Hokum, and the reply was, and I quote, “Upcoming”. Make of it what you will, but I’m saving my beer tokens for one. 

Zvezda just announced a 48th scale Hind.  I’ll take that over junk from KH any day.  

Edited by 11bee

On 9/26/2019 at 11:34 AM, 11bee said:

Zvezda just announced a 48th scale Hind.  I’ll take that over junk from KH any day.  

?! Their AH-1Z is quite nice mate. 

Ah, fair question. Having finished mine, I would not recommend it. There are details missing or incorrect, and the instructions have errors, too. The canopy has no detail on the inside, where there is prominent framing. The centre console is incorrect for a ‘mike’ model in that the two MFD are depicted as fixed to the centre, they hinge back with prominent fittings at the corners, the flat surface should slope down, and there is no thermal blanket on the sides, either. 

The central bulkhead is bare of detail in the cabin area, not so much on the cockpit face. There is no plumbing whatsoever in the cabin, which is a feature of the Little Bird, including the ceiling area. Then there is the fuel cell, which has retaining strapping on the front, and square edges at the bottom. The M has different retaining, angled edges, and the round filler cap is on the starboard side only. 

On the port side top of the fuselage, a small rod antenna is missing, despite there being an impression where it should go, and it being visible in the box art. On the tail boom, there are two antenna, a large flat one and an X. Only the X is used. Similarly, on the starboard side top, the antenna is incorrect, too. It should be a I’ll describe it as an ironing board shaped antenna. On the cowling above that, there is a small access panel that needs to be scribed in. And below it, I added a small window that I assume is to check fluids. That may be optional, depending on how detailed you want your Littlebird. There is also a small panel or patch here that has a formation light on it that is missing, too. Again, how detailed do you want it. 

Building the engine, sorry, I’m away from my notes, the instructions fail to mention there is piping that goes through one piece, there are two pieces reversed, and there is something else, too, which escapes me right now. 

There is excessive flash for such a modern kit. I don’t mind cleaning up parts, but carving detail out of flash.... knock out pins that are larger then the parts themselves, and generally soft details on the small parts. The instructions are vague about where parts go, and the smaller parts just glue to the surface, rather than having positive mounting points, like a lug for example. This caused parts to fall off when painting with an airbrush.

I finished mine as an MH, and I’m happy with it, just disappointed at the amount of work it took for a kit only recently released. I think it takes too much from the ‘J’ kit, when it should be it’s own kit. And I see Kittyhawk are to do another J, version 2.0. I hope they do the same for the M and do it justice. I’m keen on doing an MH 60S, but want to see a warts and all build review before I hand over any cash. 

Edited by Newtonk

17 hours ago, Newtonk said:

Ah, fair question. Having finished mine, I would not recommend it. There are details missing or incorrect, and the instructions have errors, too. The canopy has no detail on the inside, where there is prominent framing. The centre console is incorrect for a ‘mike’ model in that the two MFD are depicted as fixed to the centre, they hinge back with prominent fittings at the corners, the flat surface should slope down, and there is no thermal blanket on the sides, either. 

The central bulkhead is bare of detail in the cabin area, not so much on the cockpit face. There is no plumbing whatsoever in the cabin, which is a feature of the Little Bird, including the ceiling area. Then there is the fuel cell, which has retaining strapping on the front, and square edges at the bottom. The M has different retaining, angled edges, and the round filler cap is on the starboard side only. 

On the port side top of the fuselage, a small rod antenna is missing, despite there being an impression where it should go, and it being visible in the box art. On the tail boom, there are two antenna, a large flat one and an X. Only the X is used. Similarly, on the starboard side top, the antenna is incorrect, too. It should be a I’ll describe it as an ironing board shaped antenna. On the cowling above that, there is a small access panel that needs to be scribed in. And below it, I added a small window that I assume is to check fluids. That may be optional, depending on how detailed you want your Littlebird. There is also a small panel or patch here that has a formation light on it that is missing, too. Again, how detailed do you want it. 

Building the engine, sorry, I’m away from my notes, the instructions fail to mention there is piping that goes through one piece, there are two pieces reversed, and there is something else, too, which escapes me right now. 

There is excessive flash for such a modern kit. I don’t mind cleaning up parts, but carving detail out of flash.... knock out pins that are larger then the parts themselves, and generally soft details on the small parts. The instructions are vague about where parts go, and the smaller parts just glue to the surface, rather than having positive mounting points, like a lug for example. This caused parts to fall off when painting with an airbrush.

I finished mine as an MH, and I’m happy with it, just disappointed at the amount of work it took for a kit only recently released. I think it takes too much from the ‘J’ kit, when it should be it’s own kit. And I see Kittyhawk are to do another J, version 2.0. I hope they do the same for the M and do it justice. I’m keen on doing an MH 60S, but want to see a warts and all build review before I hand over any cash. 

Thanks for the clarification. I have the AH6J kit, and will have to check it out. 

Brandon

On 9/26/2019 at 7:34 PM, 11bee said:

Zvezda just announced a 48th scale Hind. 

We'll see.... .;)