An interesting answer from Mr. Sulc (the boss of Eduard) on a Czech modelling forum (can I mention other forums here or is it a no-no area like on other forums?).  :))

He was asked about plans for MiG-21 SMT, R and bis versions in 72nd scale.

The short answer was:

Zatím na to žádný časový horizont nemáme.    

in G. translation :  We do not have any time horizon yet. or in another interpretation:  

Yet it is no timeframe we have.  

As far as it is known for the moment only the PF and PFM versions are in the pipe line with release very late this year or rather next year and the other following it half a year or more later which means that it is 2020-2021. The PF-PFM are the second batch of MiG-21’s planned by Eduard in 72nd.  

The first batch of Eduard production was the two versions of the MiG-21MF already released.

The third batch should be (if ever) the SMT and bis versions which are a “way over the horizon” (in free interpretation) according to Mr. Sulc. There are so many projects going on at the Czech company which have priority over the MiG-21’s and earn a lot more money like the just started Mustang family, while we still have the Spits, the Me-109’s, the FW-190 . . .  family not finished (in both 48 and 72 scales) and a proposed Hurricane also in plans  . . .

So not surprised that it is way over the horizon, many-many years in future.

Life is short

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor

they should just stop pulling "instant Hasegawa'ed" for any given newer tool they release cause that way of doing it's what is making people like me lose interest.

I have no interests on buying their FW-190A if the A5 through A9/F9 lineup is incomplete, I would rather go after Hasegawa or Kora kits

A newer and complete Mig-21 family in 1/72 was needed, but I don't freaking need 23i9034902342390834901233901238029381209312 MF boxes

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

It is very simple business mathematics. They or any other company for that matter go in direction of biggest sales and profit. It is as simple as that. Of the Mustang they sold around 7000 (seven thousand !!!!!!!!!!) pieces in a matter of few weeks. This is a hell of a lot!!!!  Based on this it is obvious that they will do the so called “popular” (and in this case numbers clearly show this) subjects.  Why not do it, I am sure there are many who are happy with yet another Me-109, FW-190, Spit, Mustang . . . kit! Let them do it. It means that the company stays alive and can in the end (we hope so) make other subjects too like the FIshbed series. Only the time factor . . .  

The MF versions are primarily for domestic market and there they sell them (OK not as many as Mustangs) .

Any re-box of other manufacturers kits is pure “printing money” and expanding further the range under Eduard name. Just make a new box, print the decal and instruction sheet, add photoetch and some resin (to keep the boys in the company’s own aftermarket department happy). No hassle with press form making, design, research . . . even if the kit is say far from perfect (like the MiG-23) the end product will make money too, which is good for the business. This does not affect production capacity. 

The problem with producing new kits like this MiG-21 range is not this. The bottle neck is in design / research / tool making and of course investment, this is the main limiting factor for a company.

Best regards

Gabor

On 9/14/2019 at 12:24 PM, Mizar said:

they should just stop pulling "instant Hasegawa'ed" <...> I don't freaking need 23i9034902342390834901233901238029381209312 MF boxes

What should they do instead? If people can choose and get what they want and that allows Eduard to sell more MiGs, how is that a bad thing?

I bought the Fighter-Bomber ProfiPACK, the Interceptor ProfiPACK, the Royal Class boxing and the Czech Special (2 kits + book), each specifically for some of the marking options provided. Not sure I'll get the Weekend version. Not interested in this Libyan option at all and undecided about the Polish swordfish. Luckily no one is forcing me to buy every boxing.

On 9/14/2019 at 1:57 PM, ya-gabor said:

<...>

The problem with producing new kits like this MiG-21 range is not this. The bottle neck is in design / research / tool making and of course investment, this is the main limiting factor for a company.

What is really missing for the bis and SMT (as far as a 1/72 kit is concerned)? The spines? I guess the R would be more involved.

I kinda doubt we'll see the correct bis nose this time round. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

36 minutes ago, ChernayaAkula said:

What is really missing for the bis and SMT (as far as a 1/72 kit is concerned)? The spines? I guess the R would be more involved.

I kinda doubt we'll see the correct bis nose this time round. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.

Hi ChernayaAkula,

Like in the 48th scale versions, they added sprues for the different fuselage and wings (PF, PFM, R, CMT . . .) as well as some small bits and pieces which are exclusive to that version. I would expect the same with 72nd kits. Lets not forget we havent seen what is different for the uncomming PF and FPM kit.  

There is (there should be) plenty of new design, new sprues for any and every of the new versions.  

Even if they do a correct MiG-21bis fuselage and wings. WHEN??? Based on the news above it will be at least some 2-4 years from now. The shorter time period is far less likely. :((

Concerning the MiG-21bis also let’s not forget it is not only about the nose but the whole fuselage is different even from the Gorkiy (Interceptor) version.

Best regards

Gabor

More and more people are starting to ask (even on Czech homeground) about 72nd kits in Edu range and the way they were pushed in the background by the manufacturer with preference to the quarter scale.

From point of view of business this is perfectly understandable:

-   exactly the same investment in research and design

-   little bit more expense in tool making due to larger size and bigger part number

-   the cost of plastic pellets is little bit more for 48 but not a great deal

-   but the revenue from kit sales is about the double if the same subject is in 48 in comparison to 72nd.

So which one will you make as a manufacturer and business owner????????

Here is a quote:

26.08.2019-22: 41 - Vladimír Šulc Ask Eduard
Well, Stefka , we do what people buy. And 1/48 people buy the most. Significantly most.

OK I understand this, but few years ago a 72nd scale Revolution was started. Or was it in reality???

Signs of this were visible few years ago and this is why I was saying that it will take time, a hell of a lot of time for the arrival of next versions of the MiG-21 family! As for the MiG-21bis I would say it is out of the question even in long run. But this is just me thinking aloud. Sad anyway.

I am sure Mr. Sulc will have a lot of questions put to him concerning this in a weeks time at the E Day.

Best regards

Gabor

In the US 48th scale is the most popular A/C scale. Most aftermarket decal companies don't make 72nd versions of their sheet and when they do, the sit on the shelves and the 48th scale will sell out. I have hears in Europe that its the opposite and 72nd scale rules. From what I am seeing, it appears that 48th scales are out selling 72nd scale. If so its only logical from a business sense to concentrate more on the more popular line. 

Disappointing as I wanted to more of the later gen fishbeds such as the SM and the bis as there are some really neat marking options out there.

5 hours ago, dehowie said:

Eduard sold all 6000 of the Chatanoga P-51 release in like 2 weeks.

Gone.

Well actually in the end it was 6500 pieces plus a couple of hundred in Overtrees boxes making up close to 7000 and yes in about a fortnight. OK most of the kits were sold to retailers so they are still on the shelves of shops somewhere but from the point of view of the manufacturing company they are sold.

Best regards

Gabor

I have to repeat that this 3D scan has nothing to do with Eduard. The image was on the Russian modelling forum and I have no further information on what it is. Obvious that someone did a scan of a MiG-15 forward fuselage section. With what purpose I don’t know.

Maybe Kotey has some more info on this.

As for Eduard doing an up scale of the 72nd kit. It is no secret that there is such a plan inside the Czech producers high command. Few years ago Mr. Sulc openly spoke about it.

Just as with the second generation Fishbed kits in 72nd there was never a deadline for such a work, so who knows. But I would not hold my breath on this one.

There are so many other “priorities” in production at Edu that it will be some time.

Best regards

Gabor

5 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

Even if it is not Eduard but someone in Russia is doing something with a MiG-15! 

Nudge-nudge!

Best regards

Gabor

1560786347  15 scan.jpg

WOW!!! I hope it will be in 1/48th scale!!!

Edited by B.Sin

There is little point in going into a guessing game. We have to accept simply that someone somewhere is doing something with that 3D scan. I am sure they will say (or not) something when it happens (if anything happens). No matter how many pages of guessing is generated here (which ever country the 3D scans were made)  it will not change anything about this project (if it exists at all).

We will get to know when it happens  (hopefully).

Till then I am more concerned about the continuation of the 72nd scale Edu Fishbed line of kits.

Best regards

Gabor

With Eduard love of doing multiple boxing and schemes the Mig-21 is an ideal candidate so it is a shame that we will not be seeing anything for the foreseeable future. Maybe Special Hobby will pick up the mantle, they have a love of doing post war jet aircraft.

Regards

Robert

Edited by Tomcat Trebor
  • 1 month later...

Some interesting news just commented by Vladimír Sulc (if someone doesn’t know the Boss of Eduard).

The next kits in the MiG-21 family were supposed to be released for E Day, then for December this year. Now in answer about the release plans here is what Mr. Sulc commented:

"Migy-21PFM and PF will be in January and April."     ( "Migy-21PFM a PF budou v lednu a v dubnu".)

So the PFM in 72nd should be in the first month of next year. Certainly good news.

And PF for April, release for the Moson show.

Best regards

Gabor

• 2 months later...

With holidays out of the way the new year is starting in earnest. While January sees the release of the new MiG-21PFM kit from Eduard in 72 nd scale and it is an interesting kit I have to add. But till the next new release, the PF version in spring there is something else is also coming our way. In February there will be a re-release of the Gorkiy manufactured version of the MiG-21MF. There will be of course a Czech paint scheme in it but also something very interesting.

The MiG-21MF was an export version intended for all those WarPac countries and some “friends” around the world. Almost the whole batch of export MF’s was manufactured in the Moscow factory (represented in kit form as the Moscow or Fighter Bomber version) but at the end of series production due to demand for MF’s and of changing the line at Moscow for new fighters the Gorkiy plant built a smaller series of MiG-21MF’s which were externally half way between the new MiG-21 bis fighter and the older MF. Gorkiy at this time was already building the bis fighters.

Of the production run of little over 200 not all were eventually sold. What to do with the “left overs” which differed from the Soviet VVS MiG-21SM version in several ways? Few Russian units received the export MF from the Gorkiy production factory. Some were in the now standard Air Superiority Grey (actually heat resistant Grey over all paint designed for the MiG-25’s but used on other types too) and some received a camouflage paint scheme.

We are very fortunate that one such example survived the past decades and was extensively photographed in a College training hall where all the original colours, stencils and markings look almost as new.

This was Light Blue № 71. This is the actual aircraft which will be in the February release box. The significance of this scheme is that I think it is the best documented pattern of all Russian camouflage examples and as authentic as it can be. Remember almost all aircraft were painted in individual pattern only the colours used were the same.

Here is № 71

HgfadCA.jpg 

Best regards

Gabor

27 minutes ago, B.Sin said:

No more new on this one?

Sorry! Have no idea what so ever!  At the time I first shown this images from a Russian site I did say that there is absolutely no information:

-   on who was dooing this scan,

-   for which company

-   and for what reason. 

Same information. Nothing new on this. Sorry!

On the other hand I very much look forward to that № 71 aircraft!  : )   : )   : )

Best regards

Gabor

I'm really hoping Eduard will do an US/UM, more so dan the bis, but know chances are very small.

With the PF, PFM and MF they have announced or already released we can with a little modelling also make the S, SM, M and (with Pavla set) the MiG-21R. 

I look forward to buying the PF/PFM in Moson!