1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader VF-111

This next build is Hasegawa’s 1/48 scale F-8E Crusader. I chose this so that I can add it to the F-4B, F-14A and the F-5E that I built previously where they all represent the VF-111 Sundowners squadron.  I will be using the VF-111 “Mig Killers” decal set from Cutting Edge and the Ares resin cockpit set to complete the details. Starting with the cockpit tub I started with the few photo etch parts then moved on to the detail painting of the fine details. Then the side walls were detail painted.

The ejection seat was detailed with photo etch accessories and painted. The dashboard was built from the photo etch and attached to the resin hood. The cockpit was then all assembled. I compared the resin cockpit to the fuselage and started trimming the fuselage to accommodate the new resin cockpit.

More photos in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-f-8e-crusader-from-vf-111/

dscn2456.jpg

dscn2459.jpg

dscn2463.jpg

dscn2465.jpg

Edited by Wolfman_63
  • Wolfman_63 changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader VF-111

This week’s update on the F-8E covers the installing of the cockpit and getting the landing gear detailed and mounted. The resin cockpit required removing many of the mounting tabs inside the fuselage and trimming the edges. Once trimmed the cockpit fit very well. Next the main landing gear bays and landing gear were assembled, detail painted and installed.

I then started to assemble the wings. One thing I did not like was the outside leading edge slats. These are one piece which is good, but had three deep injection marks with some flashing around the edge. I sanded down the edges of the marks and filled them with putty. Next I will be working on detailing the bay under the main wings and starting the painting of the fuselage.

You can see all the photos and details from the start in my build log at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-f-8e-crusader-from-vf-111/

dscn2482.jpg

dscn2485.jpg

dscn2487.jpg

dscn2495.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This week’s work on the Hasegawa 1/48 F-8E Crusader starts at the wings. I detailed the bay under the main wings by adding some styrene rods and 32 AWG wire. I used some reference photos to duplicate the placement of them. The wings were then installed in the raised position and the aircraft wa base painted with Gull Gray and white.  The kit only comes with rockets for weapons and I wanted to use missiles so I looked through my extras bin and found two AIM-9  sidewinders. I used decals from a spare decal sheet then I added the IR head using the tutorial in my tips and tricks section:

https://davidsscalemodels.com/tips-and-tricks/how-to-make-laser-and-ir-sensor-heads/

The jet exhaust was weathered with blue, brown, gray, and black pastel chalk. The decals are being placed now. The Cutting Edge decals were a little on the thick side so getting them to lay down took lots of effort as well as lots of MicroSol. Most of them are on just need to do the small stencils the finish up the cockpit and canopy.

Check out all the details from start to finish on my blog at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-f-8e-crusader-from-vf-111/

dscn2502.jpg

dscn2505.jpg

dscn2518.jpg

dscn2526.jpg

dscn2529.jpg

Nice build. The Sidewinders you have picked are actually AIM-9J's, while the VF-111 usually carried AIM-9D/G/H's. Main difference is smaller forward fins.

Just FYI - the decals are representing an F-8K, not the -E 😉 

12 minutes ago, Niels said:

Just FYI - the decals are representing an F-8K, not the -E 😉 

The interwebs think 146961 was an F-8C (F8U-2) at the time it wore these markings. 

It was later upgraded to the K version and served with VF-301. 

I don't believe it was ever an E model (no disrespect to your build intended)

from:  http://forgottenjets.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/F8U.html

Vought F8U-2 (F-8C) Crusader/Bu. 146961
  • VMF-334 as WU-15.
  • 1966: VMF-334 as WU-5.
  • 1968: VF-111 as AK-103.
  • 9/19/1968: Credited with shooting down a MiG-21 over Vietnam. Or on 9/9/1968?
  • Upgraded to F-8K.
  • VF-301.
  • 1973: VMF-511 as MK-30.
  • 12/1973: Put into storage at the AMARC bone yard.
  • 8/1986: Sent to the Socorro, NM bone yard.

Edited by habu2
added link

The decals are from Cutting Edge. They were bought because they were VF-111. I did not verify the accuracy.

In reality it should be 150916 with tail code AH

Vought F8U-2NE (F-8E) Crusader/Bu. 150916
  • 1965: VF-211 as NP-105.
  • 1966: VF-111 as AH-103.
  • 1966-67: VF-191 as NM-109.
  • 1967: VF-162 as AH-2xx.
  • 7/20/1967: Ditched into the Gulf of Tonkin after a bad launch off USS Oriskany.

As for the AIM-9's yes they should be D's. I just grabbed 2 AIM-9's out of my scrap bin and used them as Hasegawa only included  rockets and no other weapons.

Edited by Wolfman_63

Great looking Crusader and love the squadron! That seat looks awesome. Thanks for sharing your work. You should post some pics of your VF-111 builds all together.

As for the "experts" trying to call out the supposed inaccuracies, I say do whatever the hell makes you happy. Why don't you really piss them off and load it up with some AIM-9x's and GBU-12's (with incorrect fins of course)!! Make up the Bu no. and put your name on the canopy rail. That'd be awesome! 

Forgive my rant, but give me a break. Why do some people feel the need to comment on / correct every little detail?? We are grown men (and some women) messing around with scale plastic models. It's a freaking hobby. It is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. If you want to count every rivet and check the accuracy of every little decal then knock yourself out. But don't hold every other modeler to the same standard. I'm assuming if the author wanted "critique" then he would have asked for it. But if you just can't help yourself and must call out the supposed inaccuracies, then how about sending a PM?? 

Way too many plastic fanatics with way too much time on their hands . . . 

Stepping off my soapbox now. 

5 hours ago, jward said:

Great looking Crusader and love the squadron! That seat looks awesome. Thanks for sharing your work. You should post some pics of your VF-111 builds all together.

As for the "experts" trying to call out the supposed inaccuracies, I say do whatever the hell makes you happy. Why don't you really piss them off and load it up with some AIM-9x's and GBU-12's (with incorrect fins of course)!! Make up the Bu no. and put your name on the canopy rail. That'd be awesome! 

Forgive my rant, but give me a break. Why do some people feel the need to comment on / correct every little detail?? We are grown men (and some women) messing around with scale plastic models. It's a freaking hobby. It is supposed to be relaxing and enjoyable. If you want to count every rivet and check the accuracy of every little decal then knock yourself out. But don't hold every other modeler to the same standard. I'm assuming if the author wanted "critique" then he would have asked for it. But if you just can't help yourself and must call out the supposed inaccuracies, then how about sending a PM?? 

LOL, I don't let it bother me. I build how I want. I knew it would cause some feathers to be ruffled. You should have seen the explosion on FaceBook.

I don't mind folks giving their critique. I understand that us modellers are a passionate group and some folks have a lot of in-depth knowledge on certain subjects.

I can appreciate that. I typically research what I build but in this case I just wanted an F-8 that had markings for VF-111.  It's all good.

Well, I can only answer for myself, but I was really looking forward to see how the VF-111 markings on the F-8E was back in 1966, since just about all decal makers, photos etc. available from this period shows the F-8C, not the F-8E. 

So there you have your expert. The build is great BTW 😉

33 minutes ago, Niels said:

Well, I can only answer for myself, but I was really looking forward to see how the VF-111 markings on the F-8E was back in 1966, since just about all decal makers, photos etc. available from this period shows the F-8C, not the F-8E. 

So there you have your expert. The build is great BTW 😉

Well if I wanted this accurate for the 1966 cruise I would just need to change the BuNo to 150916, remove the "TIGER" from the tail stripe and remove the rising sun from the rudder. (And use an AIM-9D) Oh and figure out who actually flew 103. You can see photos of the aircraft in the cruise book at https://www.navysite.de/cruisebooks/cv34-66/index.html 

Just wish the cruise books would show which pilots flew which aircraft. That would make researching pilots a little easier.

Thanks for the link - haven't seen these before. Like the photo of AH107. Some cool shots of VF-162 jets too, which is what I'm building next. BTW - have gotten hold of a F-8C conversion set, so just need the kit before starting that one. Will be made as a VF-111 F-8C 

On 9/29/2019 at 7:42 PM, jward said:

Well given the fact that it seems like most people want to be as accurate as possible in their builds, it's not WRONG to point out an inaccuracy. 

It's wrong to harass, degrade or otherwise abuse someone for it it...but it's not wrong to point out the issue 

On 9/29/2019 at 10:42 PM, jward said:

So someone points out an incorrect detail and you get triggered. The OP did not say "no critiques" so why can't someone simply point an incorrect detail and offer information as to why it's incorrect. Maybe someone is following this build and would like to know those details.

This is a modeling discussion board, we talk about models and share information, including details of the real thing. If you just want pat on the back comments then post the pics down in the "Display Case" thread where critiques are not allowed.

Also, anyone who points out a detail is not a "rivet counter", they just have knowledge of the subject. Think of it this way, the next time you paint a model with the correct/accurate colors, are you a rivet counter?

Go to PM with these comments about what is the wrong & right way to point out this or that while hijacking (same goes for me) the OPs thread. Check the pride & ego at the hatch. I (and mostly others) want to see progress of the OP's work & not bickering about "why shouldn't I or someone be able to post my this or that?" If folks don't know something about the subject at hand then they can usually find it on the "Interwebs." I'm not the mod nor "that guy," but for the love of Chesty Puller, let the man post his progress. Not berating those involved & dishing out disrepect. Just blunt constructive critism. Let keep to the pragmatics & skip the superflous. If my comment is against the rules or not in good taste, then mods please remove & send me a warning. OP, great build & keep us posted, please. I'm done with my hijack, too. 

Semper Fi,

Masterguns

The 1/48 Hasegawa F-8E Crusader is now complete.  This was a decent kit to put together. The fit was pretty good except the canopy. It seems it’s just a hair to thin for width. Trying to fit it to the fuselage was difficult and still ended up with a slight edge. The cutting edge decals were a little thick. The rest of the kit was fine and the instructions were very good. So now it sits on the display shelf with the other VF-111 aircraft.

Check out the entire build from start to finish at https://davidsscalemodels.com/build-log/1-48-f-8e-crusader-from-vf-111/

dscn2534-1.jpg

dscn2536-1.jpg

dscn2537-1.jpg

dscn2548-1.jpg

dscn2554.jpg

• 2 months later...