Interesting discovery regarding the 1/32 Academy F/A-18 pylons

A few months ago I began working on detailed drawings for a number of ordnance items, as well as all new drawings for an F/A-18. The drawings are based off of personal photos, measurements, drawings and technical information from Boeing and Navair. This past week I completed the drawings for the SUU-62 center line pylon, SUU-63 wing pylon and the BRU-32 bomb rack. Out of curiosity, I decided to pull out a pylon from one of my Academy Hornets and the difference was a bit more than I expected. 

There are several modelers that have and will continue to build the kit as it comes out of the box, which is perfectly acceptable! 

However, there are also several modelers that like to know this type of stuff, then decide on their own if correcting the parts is worth it. 

This is just a general FYI in case you fall into the latter category. Obviously, the orange outline in the kit pylon. The yellow outline, as well as the completed pylon are based off of measurements of the real item.

32nd-Hornet-Details.jpg

Interesting. So, it's a bit too short, but more noticeably, it's too tall/thick when looked from the side (and this could be spotted with a naked eye I guess).

I don't have the kit, but also the top line is somewhat curved, while the kit one is a straight line which could mean the lower wing chord is slightly off as well.

Edited by ijozic