PsyOp UH-1B 1/48

Hi all,

I intend to build the Revell UH-1B/C as a PsyOp UH-1B of 118AHC equipped with side-mounted speakers.

I have read most of the threads about converting Revell's kit to a B model, but one question remains unanswered : how were those speakers attached to the airframe ?

I'm pretty sure they were fixed to the ship's skid, but I reckon they must have been attached to another point on the airframe. Was it the Universal Mount ?

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject ?

Denis.

• 4 weeks later...

The USAF "F" version operated with speakers screwed into the cab ...

progress02.057.jpg

I have a picture of the "B" version operating as "Psychological Warfare" with speakers screwed in the downhill ski ...

progress02.058.jpg

I don't know if that helps you ...

Edited by ALEXANDRE REZENDE

I agree with you, Alexandre.

I'll attach it to the Universal Mount.  Just wish I found a picture of the speaker attachment.

BTW, I watched your other builds ; that's some nice scratchbuilding !  I will try to follow some of your improvements.

Denis.

Hi all,

I intend to build the Revell UH-1B/C as a PsyOp UH-1B of 118AHC equipped with side-mounted speakers.

I have read most of the threads about converting Revell's kit to a B model, but one question remains unanswered : how were those speakers attached to the airframe ?

I'm pretty sure they were fixed to the ship's skid, but I reckon they must have been attached to another point on the airframe. Was it the Universal Mount ?

Anyone have any knowledge on the subject ?

Denis.

Hi Denis,

Welcome to Arc as a new member.

No the speaker box was not mounted to the skids for good reason. Remember that skids spread on lift off and landing. You would flex the entire assembly if you hard mounted them to the skids. If they were attached to anything else you would also flex that as well and if it's the hardpoints your talking about airframe damage.

Here is a better image of a 118th AHC PysOps ship. UH-1B 62-2044 'Red Tail 5' of 1st Flight Platoon from Ralph B Young's unfinished series Army Aviation in Vietnam, Volume Two 1963-1966. Clearly shows these were not skid mounted. Also, on one side only which must've been fun for the pilots trying to keep trimmed in the days long before force trim was an option. What a drag!

for+Denis+ArcForums+Helicopters.jpg

You are correct that the fabricated speaker box was attached to the universal mount. Typically a strap was also run to a floor mount or cabin mount point in case of breakaway it would not be drawn up into the rotors or strike the tail.

• 9 months later...

Reopening this subject...

I stumbled upon a nice photo of a short body UH-1on the website of the 175 AHC "Outlaws".

Apart from the interesting .50cal gun and the way it seems to be attached to the Huey, there is an unknown (to me) attachment to the universal mount.  Could this fixture be part of the speakers installation ?  (copyright vinhlongoutlaws.com)

Any comments are welcome.

Outlaws50cal+.jpg