Famemaster 4D Vision / Aoshima Saturn V

I just bought the famemaster 4D vision model that I plan to build after my 1/48 LM-CSM along with an LUT . My goal is to create augmentation details either available on Shapeways or Thingiverse but this will be for the near future I hope, not today.

Hi Vince,

I love your stuff. I've got to get your CSM parts. Have you formed an opinion yet on the accuracy of the Famemaster kit vs. the Dragon 1/72 or the 1/144 kits? Are you looking to do mainly the exterior parts or interior or tank interior parts? Maybe you've surveyed the kit already. I'd consider exterior parts stuff like an accurate CM, BPC, LES. I think someone already makes that .Not sure if the antennas and other fairings are accurate. The engines don't seem too bad but maybe batted F-1s. Some engine fairing structure might be nice. Probably several umbiical panels needed. I haven't looked close but the LM could probably use a complete re-do. Representative CM interior might be nice. Interior-wise, there's a lot of wiring and piping exterior to the S-II and S-IB upper stages, as well as some of the avionics boxes around the circumference of the interstages and the vent pipes atop the S-II that need representing. What I'd call "interior interior" would be the tanks and engine section. Lots of opportunities there if you have the imagery. In an effort to get SOMETHING Apollo built this year, I'm working to repaint and seal up the individual stages by Dec. 31, and then go back and work some of what I consider exterior and interior details over the next year, so I'd love to drop some money on your parts. Wasn't New Ware or someone planning correction parts for the Dragon Saturn?

I have an early release of the Famemaster kit. One glaring error is that the entire S-IVB is corrugated (full length stringers). They corrected this in a subsequent release but I haven’t had any luck getting a replacement part for my kit.

There is an excellent thread on collectspace on this kit:

http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000544.html

Thanks. When you say the main body part, do you mean the part with the cutaway section in it or also the adapters above and below that section? On mine, everything from the adapter enclosing the single J-2 up through the IU is ribbed except the cutaway section. 

My IU is also ribbed, which is apparently wrong too. I''m not sure if that's a matter of sanding off the ribs or building up the grooves between the ribs.

Yes the tank/cutout section has stringers just like the sections at the top and bottom of the S-IVB. I forgot about the ribbed IU.  And ironically there is zero surface detail on the BPC. 

Yes we are listing several errors but IMO the Famemaster kit is more accurate in dimension, shape and detail than the 1/72 Dragon kit or any of the 144th kits. (I don’t consider the Bandai diecast a “kit”). I have mine in a Detolf cabinet with a mirror in the back, with the cutaway sections facing the mirror. 

Edited by habu2