MRP Coming to Sprue Brothers

2 hours ago, camus27 said:

Lately Sprue Brothers has been out of everything. I've been trying to order for six months and every time I chack back another thing is out of stock. I did see they had MRP the other day and tried to order that. But they don't have the rare colors, just the basics. 

They announced the paint was coming in batches, so watch the front page of the website for new arrivals.

What have they been out of that you are waiting for? 

16 minutes ago, Kurt H. said:

They announced the paint was coming in batches, so watch the front page of the website for new arrivals.

What have they been out of that you are waiting for? 

All kinds of things, Acyrl paint, Hataka paint, 1/48 F-16 plates, Caracal decals, and I assume they are not carrying Flory washes anymore. 

2 hours ago, camus27 said:

Lately Sprue Brothers has been out of everything. 

Well not everything. When I went to their website they had exactly what I wanted in stock. And the time before that they had exactly what I wanted in stock.  And the time before that....

Substitute “Squadron” for “Sprue Brothers” and I might agree with you. 

19 hours ago, habu2 said:

Well not everything. When I went to their website they had exactly what I wanted in stock. And the time before that they had exactly what I wanted in stock.  And the time before that....

Substitute “Squadron” for “Sprue Brothers” and I might agree with you. 

Well, I don't know what you order. I meant they were out of everything on MY list, across a wide enough range of products to be frustrating. Although, I'm not sure they have ever had everything on my list in stock at once. More concerning is their restocking process, I've been watching items for six months and they haven't been refilled, which seems longer than normally necessary. 

14 hours ago, camus27 said:

Well, I don't know what you order. I meant they were out of everything on MY list, across a wide enough range of products to be frustrating. Although, I'm not sure they have ever had everything on my list in stock at once. More concerning is their restocking process, I've been watching items for six months and they haven't been refilled, which seems longer than normally necessary. 

Why don't you drop  them a note, Gordon seems very customer oriented.

On 9/24/2019 at 7:54 PM, camus27 said:

Lately Sprue Brothers has been out of everything.

16 hours ago, camus27 said:

I meant they were out of everything on MY list

A subtle but significant difference.....

It is true that they don't stock as much 1/72 aftermarket items as they once did.

Maybe there are less takers? Im not saying any of that 1/72 is a dying scale bs, but if more of the old.guys with $$$ to throw at resin are building in 1/32 these days, then it makes business sense to spend limited space on more of those items.

I hit them up the morning after they announced the paint coming and by then they had already been cleaned out of some colors like ww2 interior green. A color I have been trying to pick up for a while now and it is always out of stock..  I swear that someone is drinking it.

On 9/21/2019 at 6:58 AM, Bri2k said:

Well this might explain why Sprue Bros. has been steadily whittling back their stock of Model Masters acrylics, my go-to paint sadly.

When I checked a week ago, no "standard colors" like Flat Black, Insignia Blue, Red & Yellow, etc. These have been out of stock for a year now.

If you don't carry my paint, you're unlikely to get my business.

Enjoy the Mr Paint! If that stuff worked like Model Masters with the old hairy stick, I might be thrilled too.

Bri2k

While MRP is a fantastic paint, I'm with you. I've been using MM Acryl for years and absolutely love it. I just AK paints and they sprayed beautifully. But when I needed to touch up a couple small areas, the paint was darker when applied by brush. That's what I love about MM Acryl. You can spray it and touch up with a brush and it all looks the same.

On 9/25/2019 at 5:48 PM, camus27 said:

Much of the time SB has no control over the restock. The situation with Caracal and the F-16 plates is that SB is dependent upon the manufacturer getting them restocks. I'm a prime example of that. There are quite a few Steel Beach sets OOS at SB because I'm a one-man operation and cast when I have the time. SB has no control over when they get my restock. In regards to MM Acryl, it is being phased out because sales were just not there. The rack takes up space and it doesn't make business sense to sit on items that don't sell. Believe me, I was sad when Gordon told me it was going away. Unfortunately, the entire line is going away eventually because the manufacturer is discontinuing it a piece at a time. SB has tens of thousands of different items in stock. If they don't have what you want, it may just be bum luck.

Agreed with others on this thread that it is nice to have another vendor who carries a paint manufacturer that has not been as easy as some to get (MRP is what I'm talking about).  In fact, I am in need of a particular MRP color (the standard White) that Matt at HobbyWorld has backordered, and I've already placed an order with SprueBrothers.  That said, Matt has been great to work with, and I still have the MRP White on order with him, along with another color (Ocean Grey) that unfortunately, arrived from HobbyWorld with the cap ajar, which spilled a significant amount in the package.  Matt responded immediately to that problem, with a lengthy explanation, and he'll be sending along a replacement when the White becomes available (that was fine with me).  I've been really impressed with Matt, however, and I will continue to be a customer of his.  I really want to support someone who can give the 'personal touch', which he has, and know that when you have an issue, you'll get a response from the person who can take care of it, as opposed to a bigger company 'customer service' department.  Not that the customer service of larger outfits is bad, and can often represent their business very well, but it's still different than dealing with someone who has the entire company on their shoulders.  

On 9/28/2019 at 7:45 AM, Darren Roberts said:

Much of the time SB has no control over the restock. The situation with Caracal and the F-16 plates is that SB is dependent upon the manufacturer getting them restocks. I'm a prime example of that. There are quite a few Steel Beach sets OOS at SB because I'm a one-man operation and cast when I have the time. SB has no control over when they get my restock. In regards to MM Acryl, it is being phased out because sales were just not there. The rack takes up space and it doesn't make business sense to sit on items that don't sell. Believe me, I was sad when Gordon told me it was going away. Unfortunately, the entire line is going away eventually because the manufacturer is discontinuing it a piece at a time. SB has tens of thousands of different items in stock. If they don't have what you want, it may just be bum luck.

Thanks for the inside scoop. I'm really hoping you're wrong about MM acryl going away. I can still get it on Amazon and a few other sources. There's absolutely no acrylic that hand-brushes like it, even some that say they're formulated specifically for the old hairy stick (looking at you Model Color, just a waste of money).

Guess I'd better stock up while I can still get it. Many thanks again for the head's up!

Bri2k

Edited by Bri2k
writing in typonese again
8 hours ago, Bri2k said:

Thanks for the inside scoop. I'm really hoping you're wrong about MM acryl going away. I can still get it on Amazon and a few other sources. There's absolutely no acrylic that hand-brushes like it, even some that say they're formulated specifically for the old hairy stick (looking at you Model Color, just a waste of money).

Guess I'd better stock up while I can still get it. Many thanks again for the head's up!

Bri2k

RPM, the owner of Testors seems to want out of the model paint business. They've been killing paint lines off piecemeal and wholesale for a decade or so now. Floquil and PolyScale most notably but MM and Acryl are being discontinued slowly by RPM.

10 hours ago, Bri2k said:

Bri2k

I've thought about ordering sleeves of 6 bottles of the colors I use most. If unopened, they last years. At least you'll get a few more years of MM Acryl if/when they go away.

2 hours ago, mawz said:

RPM, the owner of Testors seems to want out of the model paint business. They've been killing paint lines off piecemeal and wholesale for a decade or so now. Floquil and PolyScale most notably but MM and Acryl are being discontinued slowly by RPM.

The death of Polly Scale was the end of an era. Early Polly S was even better before RPM bought them. I still have a few jars, and I don't know what they put in there, but talk about easy to brush! 

On 9/28/2019 at 7:32 AM, Darren Roberts said:

While MRP is a fantastic paint, I'm with you. I've been using MM Acryl for years and absolutely love it. I just AK paints and they sprayed beautifully. But when I needed to touch up a couple small areas, the paint was darker when applied by brush. That's what I love about MM Acryl. You can spray it and touch up with a brush and it all looks the same.

Do you use a primer? I like how MM Acryl brushes on, but I often have issues with paint lifting up with masking tape. 

3 minutes ago, RKic said:

Do you use a primer? I like how MM Acryl brushes on, but I often have issues with paint lifting up with masking tape. 

Paint lifting off the huge downside of Acryl. I'm lazy and usually don't prime. However, if I need to mask, I'll spray a primer. I'll let that dry a good day or so and then spray Acryl. When that's completely dry, I'll use a sanding cloth and smooth it out. That limits the surface area that the masking tape can grab onto. I also de-tac the masking as much as possible. I just masked off the wings of a Bearcat that I had sprayed yellow and the only lift off I had was on the edges of the wheel wells. That was easily touched up with a brush. I understand your frustration with the lack of adhesion though. I've fought it quite often If you can use large Post-It notes, they word great and don't pull up the Acryl.

On 9/29/2019 at 8:17 AM, Curt B said:

Agreed with others on this thread that it is nice to have another vendor who carries a paint manufacturer that has not been as easy as some to get (MRP is what I'm talking about).  In fact, I am in need of a particular MRP color (the standard White) that Matt at HobbyWorld has backordered, and I've already placed an order with SprueBrothers.  That said, Matt has been great to work with, and I still have the MRP White on order with him, along with another color (Ocean Grey) that unfortunately, arrived from HobbyWorld with the cap ajar, which spilled a significant amount in the package.  Matt responded immediately to that problem, with a lengthy explanation, and he'll be sending along a replacement when the White becomes available (that was fine with me).  I've been really impressed with Matt, however, and I will continue to be a customer of his.  I really want to support someone who can give the 'personal touch', which he has, and know that when you have an issue, you'll get a response from the person who can take care of it, as opposed to a bigger company 'customer service' department.  Not that the customer service of larger outfits is bad, and can often represent their business very well, but it's still different than dealing with someone who has the entire company on their shoulders.  

Agree 100%. Matt is great to work with. Plus the fact that you can have items backordered with him and he will fill that order just as soon as he gets product in the door. If Sprue Brothers is out of an item, all you can do is sign up to be notified and hope you respond to the notification fast enough to get whatever you were waiting for. I have a feeling that will be a problem with certain MRP colors. They seem to disappear seconds after they are stocked :dontknow:.

On 9/30/2019 at 4:27 PM, Darren Roberts said:

I've thought about ordering sleeves of 6 bottles of the colors I use most. If unopened, they last years. At least you'll get a few more years of MM Acryl if/when they go away.

That's what I'm doing. I like to use the acrylics for brushing details, so things like black & white and common grays I'm constantly using (although I'll probably go back to Tamiya, and try Lifecolor (if I can get that)).  But, if they discontinue the clears I'm in real trouble, as I can't get anything else to work as well.  So, I'm stocking up and I will probably vacuum seal them to get another decade of acryl.

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, tosouthern66 said:

Man have I been out of the loop that long! I just ordered from Hobby World USA. I would have rather ordered from SprueBrothers.

Why?  Hobbyworld charges less per bottle than Sprue Brothers. I will use Sprue Brothers as a backup if Hobbyworld is out and I don't want to wait for a restock, but Matt has provided superb service over the years and has always gone out of his way to get me what I needed. Nothing against Sprue Brothers. They're great too. Just a bit more expensive.

Edited by Mstor
1 hour ago, Mstor said:

Why?  Hobbyworld charges less per bottle than Sprue Brothers. I will use Sprue Brothers as a backup if Hobbyworld is out and I don't want to wait for a restock, but Matt has provided superb service over the years and has always gone out of his way to get me what I needed. Nothing against Sprue Brothers. They're great too. Just a bit more expensive.

I am the same, and I've ordered some from Spruebrothers since I was already getting other things.   For the most part I will keep ordering from Matt though.   I tend to buy paints well in advance of when I actually start building so I can usually wait until he has something in stock.   

3 hours ago, nspreitler said:

I am the same, and I've ordered some from Spruebrothers since I was already getting other things.   For the most part I will keep ordering from Matt though.   I tend to buy paints well in advance of when I actually start building so I can usually wait until he has something in stock.   

HobbyWord is cheaper but I have not been getting tracking or shipping notices plus it takes a few extra days for it to get to me. With SB I get it sooner.

33 minutes ago, tosouthern66 said:

HobbyWord is cheaper but I have not been getting tracking or shipping notices plus it takes a few extra days for it to get to me. With SB I get it sooner.

Spruebrothers is fast, they had my last order ready to ship within a few hours of when I placed the order.  Hobbyworld is a one man operation, so it may take Matt a couple days to get an order packed and shipped.   I can live with that.     Both stores are great, and I do business with both.   I do prefer to shop with Hobbyworld if I can, to show my support to a growing small business, I don't mind waiting a couple days.